Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Two decades later,...

I'm just getting back into fly fishing after a long hiatus, and it's been well over 20 years since I tied a fly. I'm planning to try fishing Fort Desoto tomorrow (Tampa Bay), so I figured tying up a few large saltwater flies would be an easier way back in than squinting at a size 22 trout gnat.

I still had my vice and tools, but I needed to refresh my materials stash, and my head cement had long since solidified. First stop, though, was WalMart to pick up eyeglasses (magnifiers) since I no longer see well enough to thread a bobbin, much less tie in a hackle. Next was a trip to the fly shop in Winter Haven for hooks and cement and a few odds and ends, then the local craft shop (which sells feathers, craft fur, tinsel, floss, etc., for half what a fly shop charges).

Got home, set up my vice and a strong light in the den, flipped on the TV and tuned in Buccaneers & Bones, and started spinning thread.

I'm interested to see how well the shrimp will work. I'd never used bead chain eyes before. Years ago, I used to make eye stalks by melting the tip of a piece of mono line; maybe I'll try that next time.

Anyway, it was fun to whip up a few flies again. It'll be even more fun if I can get a fish or two with them.
    1/2

======================================
    Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: Two decades later,...

Good stuff. Hope ya hook one!
    ~Todd
    "...Nympin' ain't Easy"

Chief Thread Starter
    Mother Approved...

Blog Entries

Welcome back. Those are really nice looking flies, I hope they put you on some fish It must be like riding a bike I guess because those look like solid ties to me.. Next time you need head cement and don't need to go to a fly shop, give Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails a try. You can get that at Wally World or your local drug store.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    It must be like riding a bike I guess...
    LOL! Exactly. These days I ride bikes and tie flies much, much more slowly than when I was a kid.

Next time you need head cement and don't need to go to a fly shop, give Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails a try. You can get that at Wally World or your local drug store.
    Y'know, I even have a bottle of that stuff upstairs and I didn't think of it. I play guitar, and I use Sally's goop to harden the fingernails I pick with.
    1/2

Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

Blog Entries

1/2: Very nice work! I too hope you have success with the new flies, best of luck and most of all have fun!
    Larry

Glad you guys liked the flies, but the fish didn't. Or at least I failed to show them to the fish. Didn't get a single strike at Ft. Desoto today. No one else I spoke with was doing any good either, so I don't think it was entirely the fault of the flies. Wrong place, wrong tide, I guess.
    1/2