ATTN All tyers: I "Challenge" you to a duel!!

stl_geoff

Reaction score
**glove slap!!**

OK so not really a challenge or a duel. Hear me out. The other day I read a blog entry about being creative as a tyer and adapting patterns to suit our needs. It also was about embrassing creativity and knowing that if it doesn't work you can always cut it off and try again. So the other night an idea popped into my head as I was sitting down to clean my desk. ( Hopefully ) Like other tyers, my desk in mid season is a whirl of scraps, loose feathers and strands and just general chaos. I sort whats good and still usable, the rest is dumped. That's when the idea hit. I saw a bare hook laying down, there was a spool of thread in the bobbin and a single loose pair of lead eyes. So...using only materials that were laying freely on my desk, I tied a fly. Had no idea of what I was going after, but I tied one and honestly Im happy enough with the end result I plan to go back and make a different colored version. So that's my "challenge" to you all. tie a fly using only whats loose on your desk. You can cut things down to size, but no opening bins or baggies or boxes to get a material out ( if you need a hook or thread that's fine but pick at random ). Just your "scraps". Take a picture and post it up. I want to see some creativity and maybe spark some genious!!!

here it is, in version 1...The Bench Clearer

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Looks good! :thumbsup:

I do that sometimes too! Instead of trying to store away scraps, I'll tie with whatever is on the table. I hate throwing anything away! (No, I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty!) :rolleyes: :D

Here's one such fly. Approximately 4" long. Barbell eyes, 1/0 hook, a bit of cross cut rabbit, Hackle Flash, the chamois type tail & some chartreuse & gold Polar Flash. All left over from tying other flies. I fished this fly the other day & really liked the action it had. Didn't catch anything on it, but I'm sure it will do well.

flytire

Reaction score
i like tying in a clean area so i usually take out only enough material for the quantity of flies i'm going to tie and then throw away any type of leftover bits and trimmings. my goal is to not waste any material. not much you can do with 1/8 inch long butt ends of hackles or fallen guard hairs from spikey dubbing. whatever material i dont use goes back in the bag for future use on another hatch of flies

yup, i'm cheap :D and damn proud of it! :D

enolaeagle

Reaction score
I don't even know what I just did. I haven't tied anything in a long time and have basically zero supplies but I scrounged this stuff outa my vise box. Maybe a panfish will like it...

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I actually had full intention on using this fly the last weekend but i was too distracted by all the large fly topwater action i couldnt switch to anything else.