Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default A Soft Hackle Kinda Day

For the better part of today I've been tying mostly soft hackle today. It's been way too rainy to be out on the river today but it was really nice to sit around listening to music and cranking a few flies out. I used my wife's camera so hopefully you can make out the details. As always, any constructive criticism is always appreciated!

Then I tried a few with CDC to see what happens. Some of them wound up a little bulky but here's the best one.

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."
    ~by Tony Blake

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
    ~ Arnold Gingrich

Default Re: A Soft Hackle Kinda Day

look great, though i think the heads are a bit on the big side.

DO you tie the hackle in last?? I suspect so.

Try this

Start your thread on the hook, do a few wraps to secure the thread (jam knot), then tie in your hackle, on top of the shank, with the underside up (the hackle should curve up.
    Secure the rest of the stem down along the hook shank, then tie the rest of your fly.

When it comes time to wrap the hackle, its already tied on!!
    Just take your two or three wraps (for soft hackles, sometimes even one wrap of a half stripped feather is enough), then bring the thread through the hackle, tie off the end with a few wraps, and whip finish.
    you have much smaller head, and a very secure hackle!

Eunan

3. Likes mcnerney, Ard, fishiowa, jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Those are some great looking flies! I think you'll find they'll fish just fine. Thanks for taking the time to post them. I didn't always fish them, but over the past couple of years I've found myself fishing them more often. Eunan nailed my thoughts on improving your ties. Strip one side of the feather tie it in wrap back up and stick with 2-3 turns of hackle at most.

This video by Hans Weilenmann REALLY helped me improve my soft hackle technique. I've learned lots from his videos--thank you much Hans!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuK61AFV0NU]Partridge & Orange - tied by Hans Weilenmann - YouTube[/ame]
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

5. Likes Ard, dean_mt liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
    look great, though i think the heads are a bit on the big side.

DO you tie the hackle in last?? I suspect so.

Try this

Start your thread on the hook, do a few wraps to secure the thread (jam knot), then tie in your hackle, on top of the shank, with the underside up (the hackle should curve up.
    Secure the rest of the stem down along the hook shank, then tie the rest of your fly.

When it comes time to wrap the hackle, its already tied on!!
    Just take your two or three wraps (for soft hackles, sometimes even one wrap of a half stripped feather is enough), then bring the thread through the hackle, tie off the end with a few wraps, and whip finish.
    you have much smaller head, and a very secure hackle!

Eunan
    That sounds like a cool little trick, especially for the tiny, space ones. Will have to try it. I tie and fish mostly soft hackles.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

First, very nice looking flies, fish catchers for certain. I love tying and fishing soft hackles.

Eunan nailed it on the steps, and the video of Hans hammers it home so perfectly. That guy is the most amazingly efficient tyer I've ever seen. Awesome.

8. Likes jaybo41 liked this post