Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New vise

Default New vise

I'm trying to decide between the Ranzetti Presentation 4000 and the Dyna king Barracuda. Does anyone have any input on either of these vises? Any other vise suggestions are appreciated too! I will be tying flies from about a size 4 hook to a size 24.
    Carson

Blog Entries

Default Re: New vise

have you tried both of them to get a feeling if either one might fit your tying style??

thats the only way to decide
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Can't comment on the Barracuda, but I used a 4000 for a long time. Tied steelhead (1.5) down to midges (22's). Not a pro but was tying around 1000 flies a year on it. It is a very good vise. My only problem with it, and it is minor, is that I had a hard time working behind the hook on larger steelhead flies.

Blog Entries

You really can't go wrong with either of those vises, but I agree with what Flytire stated. If you can get into a fly shop and try the vises out, that way you will be able to make an informed decision on how the vise fits YOU. Good luck.
    Larry

Thanks for the info! I guess i'll make a trip to the fly shop and try them out!
    Carson

I just bought a Griffin Odyssey Spider. So far the vise performs great, I played with and put #14 up to 2/0.

P.S. I am new at this so I have nothing to compare it with.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

I have the mongoose and there's not a single thing that I dislike about that vise. A good vise is worth the money!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2