Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Where Does It Come From?

Blog Entries

Default Where Does It Come From?

Ever wonder where some fly tying materials come from? I found this photo on Facebook recently and thought I would share it. I don't know its origin, but it sure does give a wonderful shot of a peacock in flight. I started drooling as I saw all of the possibilities for a variety of flies that could be tied with all those feathers!

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Default Re: Where Does It Come From?

Awesome...
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

Great picture! You can have such a skin, for a price, just scroll down to Peafowl

I think Tom Rosenbauer did an Orvis podcast that talked about where materials come from, but I just looked through my archives and couldn't find it. Perhaps it was a 'fly box' question? If I remember right, a lot of the rabbit stuff like hare's mask and feet come from Australia where they aren't native, but I could be remembering that wrong.
    - William

Awesome photo Kelly.

You inspired me to look for more photos and I found an albino white peacock and a mixed peacock.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

5. Likes Flyfisher for men, rubberguy liked this post
    Blog Entries

Wow, wow, and WOW!!! Thanks for sharing Silver.

williamhj, I looked up the price of the skin and it's only $1,500... I guess I don't need it that bad.

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Those are all awesome pictures. I've never really thought much about it. But I'd bet you could buy a live bird around here for less than fifty dollars, but I could be wrong.

Hmmm has me thinking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
    Casey

Meep....Meep.

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
    Ever wonder where some fly tying materials come from? I found this photo on Facebook recently and thought I would share it. I don't know its origin, but it sure does give a wonderful shot of a peacock in flight. I started drooling as I saw all of the possibilities for a variety of flies that could be tied with all those feathers!

Kelly.
    Wow! Beautiful bird!! Wonder of you can hunt them like Pheasants or are they all domestic? Just to see them bust out like that would be worth it!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Blog Entries

I could be wrong but that looks like a skin superimposed over the background image I have accumulated a mix of the plumage over the years and use some on some flies. The wing quills and shoulder feathers go fairly high because they are sought for use in classic salmon patterns.

Whether it's a skin or a live bird in the photo it's pretty neat. I've gathered some pretty strange materials over the years, especially since the time when I became interested in salmon - steelhead flies and making them. I still have 2 complete jungle foul capes that had to be certified as pre ban when I bought them. The feathers were banned from import circa 1968 - 1970 because of a threatened status in India where they were native. At this time we had very few domestic breeders in America, that changed as the price skyrocketed and the supply dwindled. Finding them back in the 1970's was like making some sort of drug deal because they were illegal for sale or trade unless they had papers. The fellow I knew had a US Fish & Wildlife declaration for possession and as far as I know the 2 capes date to the late 1960's. I've never plucked a feather from one of them and the other is almost without any missing nails. Once I had learned how valuable they were and hard to get I sought out more and bought them.

Imagine this; when I first bought an AAA grade jungle cape I paid 125.00 for it. At the same time an ounce of Gold sold at $124.50 on average for the year. In reflection I perhaps should have bought more gold back then

Anyway, I've ran the gambit from Monga Ringtail through Silver Monkey and most weird stuff in between. I never had any Argus pheasant but most others I have a bit of...........

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors