Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly tying kit arrived today, what should I tie first?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fly tying kit arrived today, what should I tie first?

Helen Shaw's book is pretty cool. You get to learn one thing at a time. Two best things about the approach is that you get to concentrate on just the technique, so the pressure to make a good fly is off. The other good thing about the approach is that you no longer care about color, size, quality, etc. , and you get to make use out of all the stuff you would never use for flies that you fish.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

mridenour Guest

Wooly Buggers! Tons and tons of wooly buggers! When I need to relax I sit down and tie them. I tie weird and wacky ones and traditional ones. They are so fun to tie! Then you can take them out and catch anything that swims.

Sorry, I think I went insane for a moment.

Appreciate all the help very much!

Woolies are definitely going to be attempted this weekend so I can test them.

I will buy some books soon. I already bought a very nice hook selection from Allen and got the 3 free fly boxes. What an awesome hook deal Allen offers! I can tie in a bunch of sizes while I figure out my local waters.

I'm pretty excited to finally have a flybox with more than half dozen choices.

I'll post some PICs soon, (for better or for worse)

Dewayne

4. Likes N/A liked this post

I'm basically in agreement with what you are hearing.

I'll throw in a plug for a wooly worm--the forefather of the bugger. It lacks the marabou tail.

Quite simple to tie and can function as a basic dry fly without weight, tied with a bead head and/or lead as a streamer. It will get you working with hackling. However you do it, you end up with a "buggy" looking fly that can be also used as a streamer.

A version of it is the crackleback. They use them a lot in Missouri as dry flies, though they can be fished subsurface.

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    mridenour Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
    I'm basically in agreement with what you are hearing.

I'll throw in a plug for a wooly worm--the forefather of the bugger. It lacks the marabou tail.

Quite simple to tie and can function as a basic dry fly without weight, tied with a bead head and/or lead as a streamer. It will get you working with hackling. However you do it, you end up with a "buggy" looking fly that can be also used as a streamer.

A version of it is the crackleback. They use them a lot in Missouri as dry flies, though they can be fished subsurface.
    We have much better luck fishing the cracklebacks subsurface in a couple feet of rippling water. It is a killer fly and fun to tie!

The first 4 flies in Dick Talleur's book "The Fly Tyer's Primer" are all soft hackles.
    The fifth is a woolyworm

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
    We have much better luck fishing the cracklebacks subsurface in a couple feet of rippling water. It is a killer fly and fun to tie!
    That's probably a better way to put it. I see you're from St. Louis, so you probably know Bennett Springs and how they use them there. That's where I've worked with them.

mridenour Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
    That's probably a better way to put it. I see you're from St. Louis, so you probably know Bennett Springs and how they use them there. That's where I've worked with them.
    Yeah, we also use them at Montauk\Current River and Taneycomo with great success as well. Here in Missouri---don't leave home without them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12