I may start tying, I need help

flymoron

Reaction score
I have been contemplating starting tying this winter. Here is my problem, I cannot sit in a upright chair at a table to do the tying. If I sit it has to be in a recliner. I am looking for a way that I can sit in a recliner and do the tying. Please HELP.

thanks

flymoron

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Can you stand? If so, I would just set up a bench that is at a height that is more conducive to standing. I actually have an adjustable height desk in my office and tend to stand quite a bit instead of sitting.

craigthor

Reaction score
Just find a laptop roller tray and set your vise on the tray. might be awkward and if you can stand would be better. Sitting upright is the easiest way to see whats going on.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I gotta think that it would get 'messy" if you weren't upright some how, but some very famous tiers like Carrie Stevens and Lee Wulff never bothered with a vice.
Personally, I've done some rod building and repairs sitting in my easy chair but never tied flies like that.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Hospitals have a kind of roller table that can be scooted next to the patient's bed andd it sticks out over the patient/bed. Here's an attempt at a crude drawing:

-------
|
|
|
---
o o

You could probably find an old one or get something like it made.

dean_mt

Reaction score
It would have to be a free standing sort of desk like Flyfisher mentioned above. One of those on-the-lap things would be bad. You need a stable and stationary surface for your vise. This is particularly important for a beginner, you don't want to create any unnecessary obstacles. A shaky vise will create a lot of frustration.

Once you find or build a desk/bench that will stand over your chair you'll probably want a pedestal type vise, not a c-clap. Since you can't really move much to re-position yourself it would nice to be able to move the vise.

fq13

Reaction score
Hospitals have a kind of roller table that can be scooted next to the patient's bed andd it sticks out over the patient/bed. Here's an attempt at a crude drawing:

-------
|
|
|
---
o o

You could probably find an old one or get something like it made.
That is the ticket. My grandad had one, it was nice looking in a wood veneer. My dad has it now and I use it as a bench when I'm at his place. I sit in a regular chair, but it would work fine in a recliner or propped up on a bed. Try Sams or Costco first, if they don't have one try medical supply places.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

PS If you want to start tying go to Cabelas. They have their delux fly tying kit perpetually on sale for about thirty bucks. Its cheaper than the regular kit. It comes in a nice wooden box with every tool you could possibly need and a decent enough to get started vise. What sets this kit apart is that the vise comes with a very solid pedestal base as well as a solid C clamp. And it all fits in a slim attractive box. Its my travel kit. I upgraded to a griffin vise, but for the money the cabelas will do the job. If you like tying you'll buy something better, but to test the waters its just fine, and the tools are good. Its the best bargain out there. I would strongly reccomend it.

Last edited:

flytire

Reaction score
Hospitals have a kind of roller table that can be scooted next to the patient's bed andd it sticks out over the patient/bed.
lets think about it

how would you get the legs/wheels under the recliner to work? remember the hospital bed is elevated above the floor, the recliner is not

after more searching on the internet, you could use a "recliner table" made just for the purpose. the part on the floor goes under one leg of the recliner and the table pivots out of the way. it also translates up and down

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Someone's going to have to help me with a proper 'link.' It's a small fly tie deal about 2 foot by 2 foot with trays, posts for thread, several 'tubs' for hooks and costs about eight-ninety bucks (give or take). Bits and pieces of feathers can get messy if you're sitting in a recliner. :rolleyes:

This is what I use in the motor home; done and the whole thing slides into a drawer under the motor home kitchen table. Works a treat as the Brit's would say.

EDIT!

Ah, here's the idea: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/fly-tying-table Pricing on these is over the top, but you get the idea.