Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Jungle Cock nail alternitives ???

Tried searching, but found nothing. Don't know if the info is there or not, but is evaded me either way.

Is there a viable substitute for jungle cock nails? I'm onle of those people who just won't purchase the damn things.

Have used starling pointers when I do need them for ghosts and the like.

Wondering if there is something I have missed or am unaware of? I just can bring myself to spend $100 or so for a neck of such a small, usage-specific feathers.

Thanks much
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jungle Cock nail alternitives ???

Die cut plastic are still made I believe. You could also paint starling, that's old school but it produces some very original looks.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

There are some tremendous faux alternatives

Some are hand painted feathers and others are printed on a certain vinyl.

I like these

ProTube Imitation JungleCock HD|Imitation Jungle Cock Nails from ProTubefly Systems
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

4. Likes Ard, jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I prefer the real thing myself, but brookfield's suggestion is solid. I've used these in a tying class before and they are the best imitation I've seen.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Blog Entries

Those are pretty neat, never saw them before but at 11.95 for 20 of them plus stamps I'm going to stick to the feathers. I guess it comes down to what you want. If you want to tie flies that have JC eyes and if doing so would give you some level of pleasure then you're going to have to get a skin. If you don't use it often then it'll last for a long time. If you use it often your pleasures will be many

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

7. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I'm with you Ard, I much prefer the real nails. These are pretty good, but there's no comparison in my opinion. Like so many of the imitation materials out there, the real thing has qualities the imitation cannot possess. Alternatively though, I've seen some synthetics that have qualities naturals don't possess either. Just comes down to what you as a tier prefer I suppose. If I were searching for a synthetic substitute, that would be the one though.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

9. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies.
    Tried the mylar things once... they make great propellers.

Tired painting with oils, model enamels, acrylics and nail polish. and decided that it wasn't worth the effort.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

Red face Re: Jungle Cock nail alternitives ???

This goes totally against any sane person's reasoning to use junglecock in the first place, so traditionalists will need to look away.

I use Mylar potato chip bags.

There's a couple ways to do this. You can either look for eye shapes already printed on the bag (think small letters and numbers) or for larger flies you can add stick-on eyes.
    Just cut out teardrop or elongated diamond shapes from the Mylar that feature your eye choice and tie them in as you would the junglecock.
    I don't even try to match my eye patterns anymore, as you can't see both sides of the fly at the same time anyway.

You can also use any appropriately sized feather and add eyes with fabric paint or nail polish.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

12. Likes Ard, random user liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by random user View Post
    Tried searching, but found nothing. Don't know if the info is there or not, but is evaded me either way.

Is there a viable substitute for jungle cock nails? I'm onle of those people who just won't purchase the damn things.

Thanks much
    Find a guinea fowl feather with a white spot in the center of the stem like the feather below.

Cut in the shape of a jungle cock feather and paint the orange spot beyond the white spot. Stiffen with flexament. They will look like the real ones below.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

14. Likes Ard, jaybo41 liked this post

they aren't THAT expensive...

go out an look on eBay- I just looked and you can get a pack of asst sized nails for $15 and there were buy it now necks for as low as $50-65.

If you buy one, you might be able to get someone to split it with you and cut your outlay in half.

If you **really** know how to look for this stuff, you can find vendors overseas that you can get them for a lot less from... but you DIDN'T HEAR THAT HERE....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast