Fly tying kits?

nralover

Reaction score
Guys,

I have purchased a fly fishing kit. (the 5/6 wt TFO NXT) I have read many articles, and attended a beginners fly fishing class at Bass Pro. Yesterday at the class, the teacher tied me a fly that he said worked quite well for bluegill. Anyway, the tying seemed like a great relaxing hobby, and I wondered about buying a kit to try doing it myself. My question is, how much do I really need to spend on a kit to get started? I am on a tight budget after buying a Winchester '94, Henry .22, my wife's new compound bow, and our fly rods and reels:) Any suggestions?

plland

Reaction score
I got a WAPSI fly tying kit as a gift last year. I think it retailed for $99, which I think is too much. I've seen some fly tying kits, complete with vices, bobbins, etc, go for half that. Although, I can't speak for what materials they include. The WAPSI kit has a good selection of materials and hooks and comes with a little instruction book. I still found myself buying materials that it didn't include, though, and there are some materials that they don't include a lot of.

Biggie

Reaction score
The best route to go for getting into to fly tying is to stay away from the kits, unless it is just the tool kit. Fly tying kits usually include an assortment of needless materials that you will never use. I still have some of the materials from my first kit that I got 25 years ago in my 13 birthday.

I would suggest just buying a vise, scissors, bobbin and whip finisher. This is all you will need to get started. Then you will want to pick a couple of flies you might want to learn and purchase the materials for that fly. I would suggest a wooly bugger because it is large and has some good skills to learn for tying. There are a lot of tutorials on You Tube and the like that can help you get started.

You will find that soon you will have a storage room full of materials and you will soon find your self in hobby shops, craft stores and yarn shops looking for that next best thing to lash to a hook and make something unique. Be ware of fly tying it can get a bit addicting and much more costly than you first thought. Good luck and have fun.

shorthaul

Reaction score
if on a budget---my suggestion would be to take a class and learn the basics and see if you like it with minimal tools--they might even off a starter kit---later as you gain speed you can get better quality tools and scrounge materials like the rest of us---the other option would be to buy a medium priced vise, a pair of hackle pliers,scizzors and a bobbin and try and teach yourself and scrounge material like the rest of us

good luck

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Starter kits are just that...starter kits. Mostly useless materials. But fun to play ...with in the beginning. Like others have said. Just take a class.....start with a couple flies and get the material for that. But buy good gear going in and you will be better off.

philthy

Reaction score
Not one to break with consensus, get the basic tools and materials for a couple of flies and start from there. I had gotten an Orvis kit some 30 years ago and it got lost during one of my numerous moves with the military. Not that it was bad; there was just some stuff I'd never use in a million years. This time around I bought decent stuff and haven't been happier. I got a Peak rotary vise, Dr Slick tools, ceramic bobbins, etc. There's some decent stuff out there for surprisingly good prices. Believe it or not, lots of equipment is the same price regardless of where you buy it - another terrific reason to support your local shop! I'm not sure if I'll ever break even, but it's nice to be able to ensure your own quality and catch fish on your own flies - that alone is priceless.

Phil

FISHN50

Reaction score
Welvome to the Group. I agree that some kits have a lot of usless stuff & might have some bottom line tools. I'd start with a good vise as that is probably the most important tool. If your vise won't hold a hook well, it can get very frustrating. Next get a good bobbin & pair of scissors. You started out right with taking lessons at B.P.so you'll have an idea of what flys to tie in your area. Get the materials to tie those flys & give it a try. There are some excellent beginners fly tying videos out there if you can't take a flytying course for any reason, so look into them.

good Luck