midge nymphs

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
made a few midge nymphs today in size 16. I used this green midge tubing I had. it didn't fit over the hook so I tied it in and wrapped it. also had a strand of chartruese crystal flash tied in on the back which I used to wrap over the tubing for sparkle. topped it off with the peacock herl. what ya think? 1st one I ever tried to make. I made a couple to try out as a dropper pattern off a foam bug this summer. what are some other good colors of tubing to get. I like the stuff. easy to use. might get some size 18 hooks also since 16 is a lil big for a midge. at least according to all the books and websites I read

Attachments

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi McFly,

I bet it will catch a fish. If I was tying your midge I might use a little less herl.

If you want to tye some really useful midges tye some Zebra midge's. Very popular and useful. I like them with a tungsten bead. Here is a link to a recipe. Size 16 and 18 is a good size.

Hey McFly, I just looked at this post again and I wanted to clarify one thing. I didn't mean to say your midge is not useful if it sounded that way. I think you did good and it should catch fish.

Frank

Zebra Bead Head

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
McFly,

I also like a red midge with a black bead head. You can use red vinyl rib, or V rib, like this fly. I also like this fly with a red floss body slightly tapered and a black bead. Size 16 or 18 is good.

Frank

BigCliff

Reaction score
Frank- you mean a tungsten bead?

A Ti bead would make the toughest midge ever, but wouldn't add a whole lot of weight.

Joni

Reaction score
I tie them both ways. With and without bead and I guess I use too much peacock also cause mine looks like yours McFly.
That Zebra is awesome. I tie a Chironomid up in Black floss with white wire and either a black tungsten bead and a tuft of white antron for gills or just a white tungsten bead. I tie them as big as 14. In the spring just look at what is floating on some of the waters. The Black and White is the most popular for me. My favorite DEEP NYMPHING fly.
Good job you guys. McFly you ought to do a step by step for the FAQ.

Any body tried Red Thread covered with either Mylar or Tan Flexi-Floss....cool stiff.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I will make some zebra midges next. also I will make a step by step asap when I got a few minutes. . keep ya posted

doc

Reaction score
Hi McFly,

I bet it will catch a fish. If I was tying your midge I might use a little less herl.

If you want to tye some really useful midges tye some Zebra midge's. Very popular and useful.

Frank, I used to tie and use these a ton. Always loved them but liked it with the hurl so I started tying them with. Then I just left out the stretch floss and now I tie them with just black 8/0. I also add a coat of Sally Hanson's Hard As Nails for some shine. My second favorite chironomid to tie up.

McFly, that tie will catch fish for sure but I agree with Frank about the hurl. As far as a bead, if you're fishing it as an emerger close to the surface there's no need for a bead but if you're fishing it as a dropper, fishing it deep or under an indicator, the bead will get it down for you.

Here's a couple of my chironomid (midge) patterns... Doc's Patterns

Cheers,
Doc

Joni

Reaction score
Doc, that first one I call the "IRISH SPRING" I use the red tag, and then the body is Kelly Green Flashabou with copper rib and copper bead. But I do the Peacock with a wing case and gills.

Here is a double off a Partridge Swim Hook

And here is the black and white. I find the gills make it swim side to side.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Joni,
Your double bug looks interesting, I like it.
Have you ever had any issues with the swimming nymph hooks straightening out? I had it happen a couple times many years ago and havn't used them since, just curious if maybe they are using a little heavier wire now.

Joni

Reaction score
Joni,
Your double bug looks interesting, I like it.
Have you ever had any issues with the swimming nymph hooks straightening out? I had it happen a couple times many years ago and havn't used them since, just curious if maybe they are using a little heavier wire now.

My fish must like me...I have only had one fish straighten a hook and it was a small dry.
These seem heavy, I would imagine if they are still making them they wouls have had to improve. Either that or they just wait for schmuks like me ;-)

As far as the Irish Spring goes, I can't tell you how many Kamloops that baby caught at the Lodge or a Little Lake in Idaho.
Use to be deadly at Mantua till those little guys took over and pushed all the Rainbow and Kams to some other place.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Mantua is where all this madness started for me, it still grows toads.

That little lake in Idaho, does it start with the letter D?

Joni

Reaction score
I haven't seen the toads for the past couple of years at "M". And you got the Idaho Lake.

Joni

Reaction score
Gotta meet up and compare notes. Will have my ID license next week. Have to save up for that bugger!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Geez!!! those things are like $80.00 now aren't they?

That's ok, I know I'll get my moneys worth out of it. lol

Do you float the S/F much?

Joni

Reaction score
Fished it, but never floated it. Something I definitely want to do. Just never had a driver to pick us up. I sooo badly need to find a friend that loves the outdoors, can take great action pictures, hates fishing, and loves to drive....!

Now remember this is coming from a woman, but being able to make breakfast and lunch possibly dinner and I would have it made!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Good luck with all that! lol
We should all meet up sometime, I told Dorian I would float him this Summer,
Would make shutteling much easier too.

So you haven't fished the Canyon section?

doc

Reaction score
Doc, that first one I call the "IRISH SPRING" I use the red tag, and then the body is Kelly Green Flashabou with copper rib and copper bead. But I do the Peacock with a wing case and gills.

Here is a double off a Partridge Swim Hook

Hah! I thought I was pretty original with my X-Mas Chronie. I guess Phil is right, there are no patterns that are originals any more, just patterns that have your own touches to them.
That double is fairly interesting, how effective is it and what are your catch rates compared to a single or a two chironomid dropper set-up?

I notice you tie your gills behind the bead head. Is that preference? And have you tried tying the gills first then slipping the bead over with the gills sticking out the front of the fly?

Cheers,
Doc