Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Tying with Chukar feathers?

Hey guys,

I had a good day out in the hills and bagged a couple Chukar. After looking at the feathers they seem very similar to those found on a Hungarian Partridge. I am curious if anyone out there ties any flies with Chukar feathers? I am guessing they would work well for soft hackles. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

-Tom

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tying with Chukar feathers?

Yes, the rump feathers work well, I will link up a couple flies soon from old threads tied with Chukar.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

most feathers on any bird are worthy of something whether it be for soft hackles, tails, wings, throats, wing cases, legs on nymphs even fly bodies providing the fibers are long enough.

be creative. experiment
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

4. Default Re: Tying with Chukar feathers?

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will try a few patterns meant for Partridge feathers to start and move on from there.

The feathers with a nice stripe near the end are great for tails on streamers.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Hi & Welcome.
    As mentioned any of The Soft Feathers work well as I'm always mucking around with any Feathers & Materials I come across.
    I tie an imitation Moth/Caddis Pattern with Snipe & Quail however Chukar would work Quite well.
    I Shot them in Alaska on The Tundra a few years back they are also known as Red Grouse in Scotland.
    The Pattern.
    Hook : 12-14 you could go Smaller
    Tail : Brown Hackle Fibres
    Tag : Either Fluoro Orange or Green
    Body : Cream to Tan
    Wings : I use Snipe you can use Chukar
    Hackle : I use Quail you can also substitute Chukar.
    You can also dose it with a little Floatant to make it float.
    You will find it a beaut little Fly which should catch Fish anywhere in The US as I caught Cutthroat on a Fly I Took to The US from Australia.
    Brian