Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Salmon Fly Grub Pattern

Eunan - So what do you do? Do you just hold it over the steam for a short time and then let it dry, put it in a book,??? Wouldn't it return to it's original form once the feather dries, or do you tie it in immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
    Eunan - So what do you do? Do you just hold it over the steam for a short time and then let it dry, put it in a book,??? Wouldn't it return to it's original form once the feather dries, or do you tie it in immediately?
    Hey
    sorry for late reply.

Yeah, i just hold it over the steam and use it immediately. Its wont return to its original shape. I've tried to resteam hackles after i've straighten them and they keep the shape they get.

I use this method to tie Stevens style streamers where the feather isnt wrapped.

If you're interested in grubs, you might try the Tippet Grub, its a looker!! Though this one isnt 100% accurate as there should be some little silver tinsel wraps after black hackle in each section.

Eunan

Addicted To Vise Flies

3. Likes craigthor liked this post

Eunan,

That's one interesting grub. What did you hackle that with? I haven't had an opportunity to try some steam on my hackles yet. Our coffee pot is an electric kettle and it turns off as soon as it boils. I need to see what else I can use. In the mean time I moved on to Pocono's second tie, the March Brown. Here is my third attempt, wasn't happy with the first 2. I took the second photo from the top because I have some questions. If you look at the tail, the feathers have a slight bend. What do I need to do to compensate for this? Is this another case for steaming or do I need to tie it in differently? Also, the wing is slightly off center (not as much as it seems in the picture). I found it difficult to get the feathers to accordion, even though I used a pinch wrap. Is there a special technique or is it just a matter of practice?

Thanks,
    Lee

5. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12