Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Simi Seal vs Senyo laser dub vs SLF blends

Hey guys,
    I'm still a beginning fly tyer and have experimented with some laser dub on various flies. I just heard about simi seal, but could anybody tell me how it differs from senyo laser dub or from whitlock's SLF blends? I have a bunch of senyo laser dub and Whitlock SLF dubbing, so I was wondering what benefit it would be to get some simi seal as well to add to the fly tying material bin or if they are all interchangeable except for colors. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Simi Seal vs Senyo laser dub vs SLF blends

Simi seal is cut longer and at least to me, has a bit more stiffness than laser dub. The SLF blends I've seen/have are shorter than the Simi Seal. Simi Seal is to me very similar to goat angora dubbing if you're familiar with that.

I use laser dub on streamers to make a head of the fly, but I wouldn't dream of using either on a simi seal leech. For those, I use Arizona Simi Seal and get it straight from the man.

John Rohmer Materials :: Tying Materials
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

3. Likes itchmesir, mcnerney liked this post

I tie a lot of Simi Seal leechs and buggers because I like the color mixes, especially the "blood leach". Haven't used the others so I can't compare.
    Oh, the Simi Seal really picks out well with a brush.

5. Likes jaybo41 liked this post

Some of my best days last winter were from stripping simi seal leeches... Such a deadly pattern... I use the real deal Arizona Simi Seal... Link posted above... The blood leech blend is amazing... So are his different black blends... Just plain old black being my favorite color followed closely by chartreuse. Dubs well onto line for tighter nymph bodies or like Jimmie points out when done in a dubbing loop and brushed out with some Velcro... It creates one lively looking leech under the surface

7. Likes jaybo41 liked this post

Buy from John, the price is great and the service better.

But just so you know, Simi Seal is a blend of Angora and synthetic flash.

So in theory mixing Lazer Dub and Angora would get you close.

9. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    changler Guest

I've found use for all three in different applications. The simi-seal I've used has been the coarsest of the three, and I've used it in a dubbing loop mostly for leeches, stoneflies, and other instances where I wanted a spiky, buggy body. Laser dub is pretty soft, and I use it frequently for wool-head streamers. SLF seems to be the "sparkliest," and I use it a lot for the abdomens of caddis larvae and emergers, psycho princes, scuds, soft hackles and other bug bodies.

11. Likes jaybo41 liked this post

All of the John Rohmer products are unique and have a lot of interesting applications. Simi Seal may be used as dubbing alone or mixed with various furs...just chop it and put it in a dubbing blender. I use it for buggers, thoraxes, scuds, emerger shucks...etc. The AZ synthetic dubbing is great for thoraxes, abdomens and may also be mixed. I also use AZ Diamond Hair, which was designed for minnow patterns, for thoraxes on many small may fly, caddis and midge patterns...I don't know of anyone else who uses Diamond Hair for those purposes but I must say that I have experienced some great results with it...

PALINISTA – (apologies to EVA PERON)

HOOK: Mustad C49S, #18 -#20

THREAD: Gordon Griffith’s 14/0, Red, White

TAIL: 1 Strand Pearl Krystal Flash

ABDOMEN:White Thread

OVERABDOMEN: Hareline Stalcup’s Micro Tubing, Blue

RIB: Wapsi Silver Wire, X-SM

WING: Grizzly Krystal Flash Back and White

THORAX: Arizona Diamond Hair Pearl Green or Blue

BEAD: Silver, 5/64 or 1/16

My son Michael, on the East Walker River, with a Palinista takin' Brown...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

13. Default Re: Simi Seal vs Senyo laser dub vs SLF blends

Thanks for the info. I think I'll get one of his dubbinizer boxes and experiment a bit. I'll google around for how to tie leech patterns with it.

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    All of the John Rohmer products are unique and have a lot of interesting applications. Simi Seal may be used as dubbing alone or mixed with various furs...just chop it and put it in a dubbing blender. I use it for buggers, thoraxes, scuds, emerger shucks...etc. The AZ synthetic dubbing is great for thoraxes, abdomens and may also be mixed. I also use AZ Diamond Hair, which was designed for minnow patterns, for thoraxes on many small may fly, caddis and midge patterns...I don't know of anyone else who uses Diamond Hair for those purposes but I must say that I have experienced some great results with it...
    John has AZ Sparkle Dub which I believe is just Simi Seal cut shorter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    Buy from John, the price is great and the service better.

But just so you know, Simi Seal is a blend of Angora and synthetic flash.

So in theory mixing Lazer Dub and Angora would get you close.
    I placed an order with John and had my order in no time. I think it was about 2 to 3 days tops. He's in AZ and I'm in PA. Hard to beat that. The quality of his materials is wonderful and you're right, great prices too.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast