Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12

Default Christmas Present for My Parents

My mom and dad are my main fishing buddies (and I'm 30 years old!) and I'm very happy to have them along with me as often as possible. I've only been tying for about 6 months and thought it would be a nice gift for them if I could put together a small box for each one of them (emphasis on small!)... So here are the results. It took a lot longer than I thought, but I'm still pretty new to this.

I've included the following
    1. Stimulator
    2. Griffith's Gnat
    3. Elk Hair Caddis
    4. Egg
    5. San Juan Worm
    6. Bead head soft hackle
    7. Sulphar soft hackle
    8. Pheasant tail nymph
    9. Copper John
    10. Cap Spider (a panfish fly)
    11. Wooly Bugger

They're definitely not perfect, but hopefully they'll fool a few fish and put a smile on my parent's faces once or twice.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Christmas Present for My Parents

You're a good son

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Well done. Those flies will mean a lot more to your parents then if you had just gone out and bought them.
    I am sure they will appreciate the labor and the love that went in to making them.
    You are fortunate to share a pastime with your parents, and vice versa. Enjoy the time you can spend together !
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Christmas Present for My Parents

Can't use names here ... they read the board I think. But most fly tieing is now behind me (shakie hands - "Parkinson's" sucks) but a 'gift box' like the above is a great thing.

Have two boxes to turn over for Prezzies with all the flies tied for me in the UK. Sounds a bit odd to get them from 6,000 away, but the Fellows will purchase 'something' here in the US and I'll trans-ship.

Last box receipt was Friday. For an off set of postage the Fellow will tie me up a bunch of trout/Atlantic flies and ... personal opinion here .... I come out on the Winner of the Deal. People beat on the Postal Service (here and there) but over the years there has NEVER been a delivery miss.

UK can be a bit different as Postal will not leave it on your front porch, have no idea what their mail boxes look like. mine has a 'lock box' (Dozens of mail slots for the neighborhood). 'Box' will go into a separate 'lock box' and Posties put the key in your slot.

UK and you're not home, they will knock on neighbor's door and deliver the 'package.' Neighbor will hand same over when you get home from work.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Speaking as a parent, I know you gift will mean the world to your parents. there is nothing better than a gift from the heart (and your fingers).

p.s. You did a great job on the flies.
    Last edited by pszy22; 12-22-2013 at 09:37 PM.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Blog Entries

I agree with the others, well done, as you said they are not perfect, but then there aren't many tiers here that tie perfect flies (me included), but who cares it is the thought that counts. Your parents will love the thought and the work you put into each of those flies and they will definitely catch fish. Congrats!

Larry
    Larry

I think just about everybody remembers that first fly and fish...now your mom and dad can add a memory. First fly and fish caught with a fly my son tied !

Little things from their kids mean a lot to moms and pops.

You did good.

What an awesome Christmas gift. I cherish the time spent fishing with my Dad. If the time comes your parents are not able to fish with you, keep track of those boxes. Trust me they will be thousand dollar fly boxes to you some day.

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post

UK can be a bit different as Postal will not leave it on your front porch, have no idea what their mail boxes look like.

fae
    Like this Fred, a typical U.K. Letter box, on the front door. No where to leave packages

Eddie
    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation."
    Voltaire

13. Likes kcjerryd liked this post