Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: bead substitute

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    6,527

    Default Re: bead substitute

    Quote Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
    Well said Silver and very true.
    But,there is another side of fishing and those are rules in some countries.
    It is illegal to ad any extra weight like split shots in some lands,and on competitions...not to mention strike indicators.Many fishermen consider that like cheating or fishing with float....
    I don't want to derail this thread, but what is the rationale for not allowing the weighting of a line at the tippet/leader?

  2. #22

    Default Re: bead substitute

    The rational is that these countries define fly fishing as using nothing but a fly line, a leader, a fly, and rod. Anything else added to the leader such as a traditional strike indicator, strike putty, lead putty, tungsten putty, or any other float or weight is not allowed. So special bright leader material is incorporated into the leader to help detect strikes and the nymphs are weighted.

    I can just imagine them asking what our rational is for allowing added weight and floats?
    Regards,

    Silver



    "Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

  3. Likes madjoni liked this post
  4. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montenegro
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: bead substitute

    Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    I don't want to derail this thread, but what is the rationale for not allowing the weighting of a line at the tippet/leader?
    Silver already said it.People who are for those rules speaking about purity of fly fishing,beauty of casting and similar things.They forget that flyfishing is still fishing and it is all about catching fish.

    ---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post

    I can just imagine them asking what our rational is for allowing added weight and floats?
    You cant

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    6,527

    Default Re: bead substitute

    Thanks Silver, do they also fish exclusively with bamboo, silk lines and hooks carved from deer bone? Or do they just pick and choose their level of flyfishing purity like we do on this forum.

    Not throwing rocks, I do the very same thing and am just making conversation.

    Back on topic,

    Madjoni, how long are the hooks you normally use for your double beaded nymphs. I don't have much (if any) water fast enough to warrant it, but it looks like a good tool to have in the flybox.

  6. Likes craigthor, madjoni liked this post
  7. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hiawatha, IA
    Posts
    1,100

    Default Re: bead substitute

    Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    Thanks Silver, do they also fish exclusively with bamboo, silk lines and hooks carved from deer bone? Or do they just pick and choose their level of flyfishing purity like we do on this forum.

    Not throwing rocks, I do the very same thing and am just making conversation.

    Back on topic,

    Madjoni, how long are the hooks you normally use for your double beaded nymphs. I don't have much (if any) water fast enough to warrant it, but it looks like a good tool to have in the flybox.
    It's a secret. bwahahahahaaaa.

  8. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montenegro
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: bead substitute

    Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post

    Madjoni, how long are the hooks you normally use for your double beaded nymphs. I don't have much (if any) water fast enough to warrant it, but it looks like a good tool to have in the flybox.
    That doesn't matter really .On picture there are regular hooks.Usually that bead that is hidden in thorax I put bit smaller then first one...
    I use them in white waters,just to get them down and get them there fast.

    And dont worry,I make jokes about purists all the time

  9. #27

    Default Re: bead substitute

    Here is the definition of a fly and fly fishing in Maine. There was considerable discussion on another BB whether adding split shot or beads fit the description of only the weight of the fly line propelling the fly.

    "Fly (Artificial Fly):

    A single-pointed hook dressed with feathers, hair, thread, tinsel, or any similar material to which no additional hook, spinner, spoon or similar device is added.

    Fly Fishing:

    Casting upon water and retrieving in a manner in which the weight of the fly line propels the fly. No more than 3 unbaited artificial flies individually attached to a line may be used. (NOTE: It is unlawful to troll a fly in waters restricted to fly fishing only)."


    Laws and Definitions | 2013 Maine Open Water & Ice Fishing Regulations Guide | eRegulations.com
    Regards,

    Silver



    "Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    6,527

    Default Re: bead substitute

    Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    Here is the definition of a fly and fly fishing in Maine. There was considerable discussion on another BB whether adding split shot or beads fit the description of only the weight of the fly line propelling the fly.

    "Fly (Artificial Fly):

    A single-pointed hook dressed with feathers, hair, thread, tinsel, or any similar material to which no additional hook, spinner, spoon or similar device is added.

    Fly Fishing:

    Casting upon water and retrieving in a manner in which the weight of the fly line propels the fly. No more than 3 unbaited artificial flies individually attached to a line may be used. (NOTE: It is unlawful to troll a fly in waters restricted to fly fishing only)."


    Laws and Definitions | 2013 Maine Open Water & Ice Fishing Regulations Guide | eRegulations.com
    Interesting. Split shot is definitely in the gray area the way that reads. Using a fly line or leader that is weighted internally would seem to be within that REG. Articulated streamer with more than one hook appears to be illegal as well. In the absence of rules you know folks have gotten way too creative on fly only waters/seasons.

  11. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montenegro
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: bead substitute

    Well,making head with tinsel instead of beads is still legal everywhere and I finally found one old picture with big nymphs



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

  12. Likes rockthief liked this post
  13. Default Re: bead substitute

    Thanks to all on this thread. Has anyone fished "wire heads" as bead head substitutes and, if so, how did they compare?

    Obviously I realize that I am creatively free to tie any way I please. I have customized many patterns over the years. However, I have always loved catching fish more than fly tying and forums have afforded me the opportunity to save time on the river by asking if things worked, or did not as the case may be, before I head out.

    Also, when I get a bee/bead in my bonnet about a new pattern (New to me at least), I tend to want to tie that pattern right now rather than waiting until it is convenient to make a fly shop run. In addition to being cheap , as aforementioned, I am an impulsive tyer no matter how often I regret it. As a matter of fact I probably throw away enough impulsively tied flies to afford a good selection of beads.

    This thread, for example, started when I discovered a bead headed midge/baetis pattern, "Higa's s.o.s.". I had the #20 scud hooks but not the beads... So I thought why not a few wraps of silver brassie wire at the head? River time for me is limited and I know I can catch fish on Hare's ears, PT's, WB's etc., etc, so I have not had the guts to tie on a modded s.o.s. and see what happens. Maybe if you guys have had success with a similar mod I can spend an hour throwing one of mine with confidence?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Micro Fibbet Substitute
    By lthrnk03 in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 06:09 PM
  2. Cheap backing or substitute
    By flymoron in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 02:13 PM
  3. Hareline Scudback substitute
    By silver creek in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM
  4. substitute for dubbing
    By barham in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 09:06 AM
  5. Flexament thinner substitute?
    By JoJer in forum Flies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 11:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •