New Fly Tyer

Joni

Reaction score
Got the newest issue of "Fly Tyer" today. I have subscribed to this for many years and probably where I come up with most of my ties.
This issue is the BOMB! All tiers out there, you need to check this out. Nice Salmon Fly on the cover, but it has got a bunch of Denny Rickard's price flies (which I use on regular basis, specially the A.P. Emerger)
It also has Jelly Chironomids....KILLER!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Oh sure, I canceled my scrip last year!

Denny Rickards is the king of lake fishing, his flies work!!
The A.P. nymph and stillwater nymph, are go to flies.

What is a Jelly Chironomid?

Joni

Reaction score
Oh sure, I canceled my scrip last year!

Denny Rickards is the king of lake fishing, his flies work!!
The A.P. nymph and stillwater nymph, are go to flies.

What is a Jelly Chironomid?
I guess you are gonna have to go get a copy to find out, he, he, he.

OR, I do have the material, I could tie one up and post it ;-)

Now I have to come up with a PEANUT BUTTER Chironomid I already have the BREAD!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Ok, I forgive you.:wink:

Have you ever fished with live willow grubs? their some mean little buggers and they have a nasty bite, worse than pine grubs!! And Trout love em, so much that some states are now outlawing the use of them.

Looking at those flies, I can't help but wonder what it would do to the look of them if you were to fill the tubing with vegie oil? kind of the same method as Mike Tucker with his liqui flies. Or are these already filled?

Joni

Reaction score
According to the instructions it is stretch cord. He mentions start at the bend and if you want a little shine to tem to not cover the hook with thread . Get back to the eye with as few wraps as you can. I have some of the Oil Filled Tubing and I just couldn't see any difference. That was probably me however.
I am thinking MYLAR or some flat tinsel over the hook first. The one that really has my interest is the Zebra Jelly Midge,
Directions:
HOOK: Kamasan B100 or your favorite midge or scud hook size 16 and 14
THREAD: Black 8/0 (70 denier)
ABDOMEN: One strand of Black & one strand of clear
0.5-millimeter stretch cord
GILLS: White Antron Yarn
THORAX: Black Antron Dubbing

I am thinking also a black Tungsten Bead for the thorax withe the gills coming out the eye hole.
It even shows a Jelly Damsel Nymph, you got to get this copy!

Joni

Reaction score
Still working on that one. The DANG nuts just won't stick! Maybe I should try the CREAMY. ;-)