Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Escargot

Default Escargot

Snails..."it's what the trout want for dinner".

hook #12 ....cream 6/0 thread
    rear half body.....Peacock herl ribbed with oval gold tinsel over a built up under body of buttonhole twist
    turn or two of pheasant shoulder feather
    front body....dirty cream hares fur
    antenna....mono eyes

Have you got a favorite ?

2. Likes mcnerney, ia_trouter, jpbfly, fredaevans, N/A liked this post

Default Re: Escargot

Oui, oui!
    Slow steam them with butter to make them tender and juice. Serve them with some French bread. Oh là là !
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

4. Likes pm287, mcnerney, fredaevans liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
    Oui, oui!
    Slow steam them with butter to make them tender and juice. Serve them with some French bread. Oh là là !
    Qui....just remember to remove the chemically sharpened barb or it might be too much bite for your palette.

6. Likes mcnerney, fredaevans liked this post
    Blog Entries

Awesome looking pattern!

Larry
    Larry

I always knew the snails were great fish food but recently found out they can motor across the surface of a lake as opposed to dead drifting... thanks to the internet . I'm going to have to add some movement with a hand twist retrieve.

Ripple Effect: Water Snails Offer New Propulsion Possibilities (10/12/2008)

My kids love escargot, but the wife doesn't and calls it escarslug. Have never thought about them being fish food. That's a great specimen you have tied, thank you for sharing.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    My kids love escargot, but the wife doesn't and calls it escarslug. Have never thought about them being fish food. That's a great specimen you have tied, thank you for sharing.

Dave
    If you ever catch a fish and it feels like it has gravel in it's belly or makes a sound like "maracas" chances are it's been feeding on snails.

11. Likes littledavid123, fredaevans liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by calftail View Post
    Qui....just remember to remove the chemically sharpened barb or it might be too much bite for your palette.
    Qui Mon ami.

A good looking fly, surely will catch some fish.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Nice looking fly, be interesting to hear a few performance reviews.

My friend Bubba's experience with French cuisine was not very positive. He said he went to a nice French restaurant, and ordered what he thought sounded interesting, which was escargots and Perrier. He complained that all he got was a few snails and some water. Told me he could have gotten that while cleaning out of his pond and saved forty bucks
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

14. Likes fredaevans, N/A, runningfish liked this post
    Blog Entries

16. Likes N/A, runningfish, calftail liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast