Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best go-to fly of your own creation?

1. Default Best go-to fly of your own creation?

I am curious to see what everyone has created?

Default Re: Best go-to fly of your own creation?

My "10 cent" popper (as in what it costs to make one)

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

3. Likes Ard, kingofamberley liked this post

"Scud" since 1974......

5. Likes fishiowa, mcnerney, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

This is my variation of a fly, not creation. I make a black RS2 and use Orange Antron for the post and add either a red wrap of wire or hot orange ( as soon as I find hot orange wire in x-small red won't be used anymore) as a ribbing. I tie them on a Emerger hook (Dai Riki 125) instead of a dry fly hook. I also use very little dubbing on a size 20 and no dubbing on size 22. I think the hook helps it sit just a touch lower in the water so those trout feeding just sub surface feed right where this sits.

For me this produces more than the regular RS2

This is a size 22 hence the red wire wrap.

"The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

7. Likes mcnerney, Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by biog View Post
    I am curious to see what everyone has created?
    OK...I'll play.

Here are three:

RED/ ORANGE PT (BUFFALO JUMP)

HOOK: Daiichi 1560, TMC 3761 , #12-#18

THREAD: Uni 8/0 Brown, to secure tail, rib and abdomen

TAIL: Lemon Wooduck

RIB: Wapsi, Copper/Brown wire SM

ABDOMEN: Red Pheasant Tail fibers...then

THREAD: Wapsi 6/0 Fl. Orange

THORAX: Orange Ice Dub 50%., Nat. Squirrel Belly 50%

WING CASE/ LEGS: Rusty Brown Krystal Flash

BEAD: Silver Tungsten, sized to hook

“MOO’s BLUE MIDGE” # 18…

HOOK: Gamakatsu C12B Scud Hook, #18-#20

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Black

ABDOMEN: Blue Krystal Flash

TAIL: Pearl Midge Flash

RIB: Wapsi wire, x-sm, silver

THORAX: Purple Iridescent Peacock Herl (Spirit River)

BEAD: Silver Tungsten, sized to hook

I tied a bunch of these up for Michael for his birthday and trip to the East Walker River, in #18-#20..I wonder if they work ???

Yup...

PALINISTA – (apologies to EVA PERON)

HOOK: Mustad C49S, #18 -#20

THREAD: Gordon Griffith’s 14/0, Red, White

TAIL: 1 Strand Pearl Krystal Flash

ABDOMEN:White Thread

OVERABDOMEN: Hareline Stalcup’s Micro Tubing, Blue

RIB: Wapsi Silver Wire, X-SM

WING: Grizzly Krystal Flash Back and White

THORAX: Arizona Diamond Hair Pearl Green or Blue

BEAD: Silver, 5/64 or 1/16

So it was Michael who pulled this pattern out of my Midge box and attached it to his tippett…this is what he got on his first cast…

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

9. Likes comeonavs, mcnerney, flytire, Ard liked this post

This one. A Stonefly nymph. Started tying it in the early 80's, but made a few changes over several years until I got to the fly in the pic. I use it now mostly as a Smallmouth fly in streams and only on size 2 hooks, but have tied it smaller. It's a very good Stonefly, and Hellgrammite. Usually only tie it in black or black/olive now too, but have tied it in amber, brown, pale yellow & olive shades. I think it might be a good Steelhead fly tied in brighter colors.

Most remembered day I had with it I caught a Smallmouth, a Largemouth, a Brown trout & a Rainbow trout, plus numerous chubs in the same small stream. (Size 6 in black)

Plus! A Shad fly. The top one in this pic. Named the Deer Creek Special, because it worked great in Deer Creek, a Susquehanna Trib here in Md. It's been posted on the internet by others as the best Shad fly they've used. Not that Shad flies need to be anything special, I'm proud that others view it that way. I've been tying it since the early 80's.

The bottom fly is another, named the Susquehanna Special, also good for Shad. Also tied since the 80's.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

11. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Not sure I actually have a pic of my Magnum Deep Purple Simi Seal Leech, but it's far and away my best producer, especially for 'bows, 'cuts, and tigers. I guess I could describe it.

Essentially a BH SSL, but tied on a #4 or #6 hook, with a tungsten cone head and some tungsten wire wrapped around the shank towards the bend to give it a more horizontal fall. I also tie on a bit of extra material just behind the cone to give it a bit of a 'lion's mane' effect. I finish it with some red wire wrapped around the body.

I've tied these is nearly every color imaginable, but purple produces when black and olive won't. Go figure.

If I find a pic, I'll post it later.

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

13. Likes Ard liked this post

Celtic Beauty, no doubt about it. Hooked 16 atlantic salmon its first day in the river among 3 anglers. It's even made it to calendar status now!

Gary

Your fly, Celtic Beauty has certainly captured my imagination. I've watched it float around the internet for a few years and when I see it, it is never something I pass by without an admiring long look. The colors kill me. They click. I'm sure you have a classic going on there.

Yesterday I got a couple of "claret" spools in the mail because...you made me do it ! Your a devil.

16. Likes gt05254, bigjim5589 liked this post

Calftail, thank you for that. Funny how that simple fly embodies an entire lifestyle for me.
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast