My first Clouser...

craigthor

Reaction score
and to date the biggest fly I have tied. Thanks to IA_Trouter for some samples to test out. Watched a couple of tube videos and the mail man delivered a present today so I figured I better sit down and try this out.

The good, the bad and the ugly but I bet it will catch something. :D

craigthor

Reaction score
Bring your dumbbells closer to the hook eye and it's looking like you got the pattern down.
Yep next one I'll tie it a bit forward, after some reading the placement of the dumb bells can affect motion in the water with some recommendations of tying it in towards the middle so the fly is more likely to sit level and not nose dive once in the water.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Nice first clouser. You can definitely make a jig if you tie the eyes too far forward. Split the difference forward and you got it.

Then tie one with the congo hair when you have time. I think it's quality hair, but my first couple attempts were underwhelming. Less is more with that stuff too.

craigthor

Reaction score
Nice first clouser. You can definitely make a jig if you tie the eyes too far forward. Split the difference forward and you got it.

Then tie one with the congo hair when you have time. I think it's quality hair, but my first couple attempts were underwhelming. Less is more with that stuff too.
I'm actually watching a video on Congo Hair Minnows right now. :punk:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I'm actually watching a video on Congo Hair Minnows right now. :punk:
I watched a couple Congo Hair Whale Fly vids and went for it. Guy was using thinning sheers to get the proper effect.

The Wapsi Hair I sent has a nice action in the water. But the stuff is too delicate and I think it will yield a nice but disposable fly. But I guess I'll trade 25 cents material for a nice fish anytime. :)

The other hair stuff I sent is also a Wapsi product but I got it at the hardware store. It was definitely a tail but I have no idea what kind.

I have more long streamer hooks in the size 4ish range than I need anytime soon so yell if you need some.

craigthor

Reaction score
How'd I do Dewayne? Definitely need some thinning sheers but I love this stuff, I know what I need to stock up on EVERYTHING! What hooks are those that are the more round bend and wider gap, also shorter shank?

He might end up with a black thread nose per the kiddo. LOL

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Very nice Craig. I just threw the ones I tied in the trash. :)

Those are Allen bass bug hooks. Give me an accurate length and I can give you the Allen size and model. I sent Their bass hook sizes are large in comparison to other brand and style hooks I have.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Perfect, I was measuring diagonally. That's a #2. About the equivalent of 1/0 in some other brands I have. Craig tying on ought size hooks and asking for more. I knew you would adapt to new water lol.

I'll send you some more junk tomorrow so you can practice your mad Clouser skills.

craigthor

Reaction score
Perfect, I was measuring diagonally. That's a #2. About the equivalent of 1/0 in some other brands I have. Craig tying on ought size hooks and asking for more. I knew you would adapt to new water lol.

I'll send you some more junk tomorrow so you can practice your mad Clouser skills.
:popcorn: a bit of a jump from the 26's, now we need some warm weather so we can test them out.

craigthor

Reaction score
Made my second attempt tonite, in a week or so I will be needing more materials so I can get serious about my big bugs.

Clouser number 2 - Moved the eyes about 1/4" further up and looks much better proportioned.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I like your first Clouser, as well as the second. They can be tied all kinds of ways & all are fine. Depends on what you need them to do as far as the jigging action. That first one should ride a bit more horizontal than the second. Smaller eyes can also be used along with positioning to change the amount of jigging.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
That looks good. You'll have to take it for a swim and then you'll know if that is exactly where you want the eyes. It's fairly sparse on bucktail, as it should be. Same goes for the synthetic hair patterns. Less is more according to everything I have read.

T

turbineblade

clousers are not supposed to dive but swim level and drop level, that's what bob created and everyone has changed.
Except that Bob describes in his own videos that the "dipping and darting" through the water is what entices fish. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0gX83J1Kvg]Tying the Clouser Minnow with Bob Clouser - YouTube[/ame]

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

BTW -- As I understand it, calling it a "Clouser" minnow is kind of a rip-off given that people were tying identical bucktail patterns with bead chain eyes for years before Bob Clouser added lead eyes to the same pattern and claimed the name.

I'm sure a lot of other patterns are like that though -- which should lead to a rule:

1. No naming any patterns after yourself.

sandfly

Reaction score
Except that Bob describes in his own videos that the "dipping and darting" through the water is what entices fish
that's right dipping and darting is not jigging action.. dipping would be at a 45 deg. slide and darting would be a straight but quick movement.

[quoteNo naming any patterns after yourself. ][/quote]

lol--- its been done for over a hundred years.

T

turbineblade

that's right dipping and darting is not jigging action.. dipping would be at a 45 deg. slide and darting would be a straight but quick movement.

[quoteNo naming any patterns after yourself. ]
lol--- its been done for over a hundred years.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure :)

Let's argue more about this "jigging" vs. "dipping downward at a 45 degree angle" thing. I really, really want to define and describe the difference here and then hurl cuss words at each other across several pages :).