Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Big streamers

Default Big streamers

I love tying Puglisi style streamers. They move beautifully in the water. Tied with correct materials, they even flow and pulse on the pause. One downside is they can get real gnarled and tangled, especially getting chewed in the salt. This is a pattern I tied in abundance for a Baja guiding outfit years ago designed to imitate the Sardina (Flat Iron Herring) These flies also have a tendency to foul around the hook, so on this pattern, I coated the front 1/3 with silicone. It really ramped up the durability and made it track even better than the original.

This fly was designed for saltwater but I have caught just about everything on this pattern. Smallies and northerns cant resist it. Largemouth chasing shad will crush it. Large trout love it too.

This one was tied on a 2/0 Tiemco 811s. Its a blend of EP fibers and crystal flash and crinkle flash

Hand crafted wood fly boxes.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Big streamers

That is a beautiful fly!!! But I do not recognize the vise. What kind is it?

Thanks and have a great day
    Paul

3. Likes jbird liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by pm287 View Post
    That is a beautiful fly!!! But I do not recognize the vise. What kind is it?

Thanks and have a great day
    Paul
    Good eye Paul! That is an original Burgstrom. Later picked up by Beulah. Now, completely out of circulation.

5. Likes pm287, craigthor liked this post
    Blog Entries

Jay: Sweet looking pattern!

Larry
    Larry

7. Likes jbird liked this post

That's a great job jbird.

9. Likes jbird liked this post

Great looking fly! I think the silicon is a good move as well! Those types of patterns have a habit of getting gnarly in the salt. I found that by keeping them in plastic bags laying flat they seem to stay straighter longer! If you ever watch Enrico when he's tying one of those he combs it out more than a barber giving a haircut! Watching him tying and listening I think that he believes the combing of the fly every step of the tie makes the fly stay straighter for the maximum usage! Think he's right but I also believe using the silicon like you do and the plastic bag storage makes a tremendous difference! Again, Super Pattern!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

11. Likes jbird, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    Great looking fly! I think the silicon is a good move as well! Those types of patterns have a habit of getting gnarly in the salt. I found that by keeping them in plastic bags laying flat they seem to stay straighter longer! If you ever watch Enrico when he's tying one of those he combs it out more than a barber giving a haircut! Watching him tying and listening I think that he believes the combing of the fly every step of the tie makes the fly stay straighter for the maximum usage! Think he's right but I also believe using the silicon like you do and the plastic bag storage makes a tremendous difference! Again, Super Pattern!
    YES! Combing is very important in the shape of the fly too. You must comb it very aggressively before trimming it to shape. And I always carry a small flea comb when I'm fishing and comb it out periodically. And you are corect, the silicone really helps in the management of this pattern. It just requires less upkeep in the field.

13. Likes mcnerney liked this post