Must read articles for beginner fly tiers

silver creek

Reaction score
Invariably, a major problem a beginner fly tier has is fly proportion. Fly proportion = the amount of and length of materials and where they are placed on hook to form a fly where the individual parts have the correct relationship to each other.

Here is a must read article by Charlie Craven on dry fly and nymph proportions.

Tying Flies | Fly Fisherman

Here's a related article on tying hair wings.

Mounting Hair Wings - Fly Fisherman

I suggest saving these articles as PDFs that you can refer to as needed. FF often takes done the articles after they have been up for a while. The above URLS may not work in a few months.

Please take down the thread if referral to the articles is prohibited.

silver creek

Reaction score
I was asked how to save web pages a pdf files:

I have an iMac and I can go to my print command and there is an option to save as a PDF document instead of printing the page.

Alternatively, you can select the portion of the page/pages you want and copy it to a clipboard and then to a text document. If the copy command does not copy the photos/illustrations, I have a shortcut command on my iMac by holding down the (Command/Shift/4) keys, I can cut any part of my desktop as a jpeg file that I can place into the correct place in the text document to recreate the document. Then I save that as the appropriate name.

Here are other methods:

Five ways to save a Web page | How To - CNET