Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Default sometimes,,,you are just the bug....

Had and BRILLIANT idea tonite...OK,,,I used the barred,,or plain,,I used barred,,rubber stings you use for 'legs' on nymphs, stoneflies,,etc....and thought,,,'dang,,they float (well a straight piece does),,,why not use them to wrap a 'quill' looking body on a dry fly. I used a standard dry hook,,size 16,,made a nice Adams 'quilled' body dry,,using the rubber 'round and 'round the hook for a quilled body. Sank like the Titanic. Looks like a million,,it really does,,but I guess the mass is too heavy when you wrap it around the hook,,,I did build up a taper with thread underneath first though.

Oh well,,,there went my 'cheap and easy rubber quill' idea. One might could make it float with enough floatant added,,but I wouldn't bother. Gonna fish this 'dry' as a 'wet' on bluegills or something I suppose.

Guess sometimes ya just have'ta try it...

Mike
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

2. Likes N/A liked this post

Default Re: sometimes,,,you are just the bug....

Mike, if I had a dollar for every great idea I thought I had at the tying bench, I'd have quite a few dollars! At least Bluegills & other panfishes aren't too critical of failed attempts. Still, I learned a lot from experimenting too. It appears you have also learned something! Keep at it! Thanks for sharing, as perhaps your failed attempt, may in fact help someone else!

I need to tie some midge & other small nymph patterns. Perhaps the rubber would be a good material for that application since it sinks!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Jim, I used a barred brownish rubber ,,and I tell you,,it looked so quill/bug body like that I was totally excited,,till I tried to float it lol..but if you want a quill looking body for a sub-surface fly,,this should be good stuff. I'm gonna work on that very idea myself. The rubber is a LOT cheaper than buying quills...and so easy to wrap that it's even fun. I think you could turn it ever other turn and get a real good 'grub' look with it. White outta wrap a super meal worm or maggot fly.

Let us know what your experiments show you, pard.

Mike

Blog Entries

thats why rubber legs are on nymphs and not dry flies
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Flytire...they float just fine till you wrap them. Try it. If they are straight like 'legs' they are buoyant to the max. I use them on top-water bugs a lot...just as legs though,,not coiled.

Maybe make the same style body but used for a nymph. Or a segmented body like on a scud