ice dubbing

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
seen this ice dubbing and had to get it. look at the irridesence in this stuff! now you can add it to all your nymphs and get a sparkle out of um! any guys use this ice dub? any patterns I should try? this should really work great for the steelhead around here and any other fish for that matter

Attachments

Joni

Reaction score
YOU BET! I cut mine with regular superfine dubbing sometimes, but that spectramizing effect is awesome! Try using a dubbing loop and making the fly real bushy!

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
thanks joni. I am new to the dubbing loop. I have seen it in books and online but never tried it. does this help make a bushier thorax? I have always just twisted dubbing on the thread.. I got this tool with all my tools. is it for the dubbing loop? never could figure out whats its for but it was called a dubbing pick or something but now that i look at it it looks like the loop some people make out of hanger to twist the loop.

Attachments

Joni

Reaction score
That is for a dubbing loop. Check this out first: Dubbing Loop
Locking the loop like in #3 and #4 is really important. But I do this and the back of the hook. So make a loop with your thread(doesn't really matter if it is too long you can fix that at the eye) at the back of the hook and place the hook tool to hold the loop. Lock it off like in the link, then run the thread to the eye of the hook. I am going to say, this is where a rotary vise is the best. Put a knot in the thread by the eye now so it stays put. Take a clump of dubbing and with both hands keep pulling it apart so that the fibers end up all horizontal.
Put small batches in the loop, you want it to be on the thin side or the fly will end up WAY too bushy. Place the dubbing in the loop and slide it to cover say 3" to 5" of the loop, but try to keep them HORIZONTAL. Then spin the hook tool to make a rope out of the dubbing. It will end up looking like Mohair chenille.
Wrap the hook like you would with chenille. Tie off at eye and then brush it out. I use velcro to fluff.
Good luck....much bushier flies!

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I will have to give it a try. any good patterns to use it on? or can you sue it anytime you are suppose to dub a body?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I use the "Cinnamon" color ice dub for my P.M.D. emergers and adults on the SouthFork, they have a pinkish hue to em there.
originally just tried it for something different, and now it's what I use all the time for em.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Do as Joni suggested and put it in a loop, don't forget to pick it out a little also for a really buggy look.
You can use it on various nymphs, wet flies, or buggers too, depending on the size and type of bug, you may also want to trim it down a little bit.

Give it a try, experiment a little and you will really like spinning dubbing loops.

Joni

Reaction score
I have never been one for the hook like you have but I also never gave it a real try.
I have this one sold by Orvis which has the little hook but also the wire, and the "W" which is my favorite.

I also have this one, but a tad bulky:

A long with the velcro on a popcicle stick I have this picker that has little teeth all the way down:

Joni

Reaction score
Even when I buy Mohair already on a string, I will pull it off and use my dubbing loop cause the string they are on is too thich and can be seen when wet.
Just no easy way for me LOL

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Nice lookin ties Joni.

I also have the "Dubbit" shown in the second pic, a little light so I added weight to it.
Your dubbing pick looks similar to what I use also, is yours a Dentist file?
If not, hit your Dentist up for one, they use them for Root Canals to twist and wrap the tooth nerve around for removal, works well.

Joni

Reaction score
Nice lookin ties Joni.

I also have the "Dubbit" shown in the second pic, a little light so I added weight to it.
Your dubbing pick looks similar to what I use also, is yours a Dentist file?
If not, hit your Dentist up for one, they use them for Root Canals to twist and wrap the tooth nerve around for removal, works well.

Oouch! but, I have been there! I will check that out...thanks!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Even when I buy Mohair already on a string, I will pull it off and use my dubbing loop cause the string they are on is too thich and can be seen when wet.
Just no easy way for me LOL

And that is a great idea, I hate the heavy stuff they use too.
Will try it soon.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Dubbing loops are super cool, its like a way to make your own custom chenille with exactly the color, material combo, and fluffiness you want. You can even make them taperes to affect the profile of the fly.

Once you get good with it you can make very lively baitfish patterns with nothing more than a streamer hook, a marabout tail, loop dubbed body and beadchain eyes.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
now that I am done tying for the swap I am gonna practice the dubbing loop. do you have to use lots of dubbing? or just a lil like when you wrap?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Mcfly,

Materials vary greatly, whether it's natural/synthetic, thicker/thinner fiber, finer/heavier hair?
That's only part of it, wait till you start mixing synthetic/natural materials together. your gonna come with all kinds of wild stuff.

My advice is to start out with either type material, try spinning at first with smaller amounts, spin until material flairs, if it looks light, unspin and add a little more.

Try to get most of the fiber/hair going in the same direction, across the thread at a 90 degree angle.

A common mistake is to spin the loop too much and break the thread, so keep an eye on your thread at the hook base.... if it starts to back wrap onto itself you need to untwist a bit.

Don't forget to close your loop at the hook when you have it filled with enough material: this is done by making a 1-2 wraps with the bobbin around the thread at top of the loop.

When wrapping the loop onto the hook shank, stroke the fibers backward after each wrap for a fuzzier appearance.

You can even trim the material on a taper before spinning for a tapered body.

Before long your gonna get the hang of it and go crazy, have fun!!:tongue:

Joni

Reaction score
I use a little, but maybe make a longer loop. That way I can adjust as I go without having to stop and start over. You can use less material and closer/more wraps, but if you get too much, it turns into a big hair ball mess. You want it to move in the water.
I second the don't spin too much or the thread will break.

Try laying some bright colored thread or Mylar on the hook shank first, the loose wraps of the dubbing with space between wraps. VERY effective pattern.

Greenwood

Reaction score
I just noticed this dubbing thread going on. I probably use the dubbing loop 3/4 of the time. I've been tying up some fur-hackled wets and nymphs. Got the idea out of Dave Huges book 'Wetflys'. It has worked great! I couldn't find the Pine Squirrel skins around here so I just bought some Pine Squirrel zonker strips and clipped the hair from them. When I lay down a red thread base and make the loop with the same thread, it gives a great effect; especially after it's wet! I use the fur for the thorax region and usually a hares ear dubbing or whatever for the abdomen. I've worked it into hares ear patterns, caddis patterns and more. There's a lot of possibilities with it.