Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vises

Default Re: Vises

out of curiosity- did you migrate to the Renzetti because you were dissatisfied with the experience of tying on the Regal, or because you wanted to begin tying in a rotary style, or at least have that as an option?

I'm not enamored with 'rotary tying', but if I'm tying a production quantity of flies in patterns that lend themselves to "tying in the round" as the style used to be referred to, then I'll enlist the Renz. Sometimes I'll tie flies to a certain stage (tails, bodies, ribbing, collars) rotary, then tie them off and finish them on the fixed position Regal.

But if I'm sitting down to tie for leisure and/or will be tying a few each of a pattern and then switching to another, I MUCH PREFER the Regal for ease and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
    Yup, started tying in 2008. First vise was a Regal Medallion. Second vise, and the one that I currently use, is a Renzetti Traveller; a Christmas present from my wife at the end of 2008.

Pocono
    I think this is very typical. I went through a few vises before settling on a Renzetti Master. My journey was:

Thompson Model A ===> Regal ===> HMH Standard ===> Renzetti Master Vise with Speed Crank

My opinion is that fly tyers that stick with it and do more than occasional tying want the best vise they can afford. I find that it mirrors the behavior of most dedicated fly fishers.

There are dedicated fly tyers and fly fishers that continue to tie and fish for decades with their original equipment and that is OK. However, I think that is atypical.

It is not our job to up sell newbies. But, I wish there was a way to tell if a newbie tyer was going to really dig fly tying so we could say, you ought to skip the beginner vise and move to your ultimate vise.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

3. Likes troutnut4 liked this post
  4. Default Re: Vises

Thompson A 1994
    Dyna-King Squire 1997
    Dyna-King Barracuda 2013

When ergonomics, galloping gimmes and disposable income align.... Didn't need the Barracuda but I sure enjoy using it!! For a serious fly fisher starting tying, recommend the midrange if the budget allows.

Quote Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
    out of curiosity- did you migrate to the Renzetti because you were dissatisfied with the experience of tying on the Regal, or because you wanted to begin tying in a rotary style, or at least have that as an option?
    I got into tying long shank flies; like Rangeley Streamers and Atlantic Salmon Flies and the advantages of getting a nice smooth body on both types of flies by turning the hook instead of turning the silk/body material was too much to pass up. Once I started tying on it, the Regal took a serious back seat.

Pocono

Seems to me that a nice smooth tapered floss body is more about bouncing the floss than rotating it around the shank of the hook.

I put the floss on a bobine and make sure that I don''t twist the floss when I apply the floss to the body. Seems to me that there aren't that many turns around the shank of the hook to really warrant the use of a rotating vise.

In any event, I've been making flies too long to do any changes to my tying style....lol.

Thanks for the insight.

I started on the fixed head Thompson with the chrome shaft in 1964, tied on it until 1985. Dabbled with a Griffin that I gave up quickly, tried a Thompson A for about a year, tried a NorVise for about a week. Still have the Thompsons and the Griffin, jettisoned the Nor quickly.

Bought a Regal Medallion Standard, then the Midge Jaws head and have tied on them since 1986.

Bought a Renzetti Traveler in 2007 just to find out what the fuss was about with rotary... still tie on it occasionally, but more for the novelty than anything else or for production tying "in the round" style flies.

I really appreciate the comfort of tying on a Regal- being able to rest the 'off hand' on the head of the vise when it's not in use is nice and there's no easier vise to set a hook in the jaws of. I have the c-clamp and pedestal, but only use the clamp when I travel.

Most of my tying is in the 20-12 range, with an occasional trip into the 22-28 and 10-2 sizes and I find this vise to meet my needs. In the past, I tied an average of 1000 flies a season, now it's more like 200 unless I get pressed into service =)

My Medallion was a C-clamp and I preferred the base model; that's probably one of the reasons that it sits now. If it was a base model, then I would probably still use it. You can't beat the convenience of putting a hook in a Medallion.

Pocono

My first vise was so cheap, if I wanted to flip the fly on it's back, I had to remove it from the vise and put it back in upside down. I used that vise for a good 10 years....lol. I'm kind of a skinflint.

I'm new to fly tying and I recently bought the Orvis non-c clamp model, very happy with it, but it was a little pricey at about $200.00. Well machined and it just "fits" well with my inexperience tying, but I'm getting better and it helps to have good tools.

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959

11. Default Re: Vises

Got an email this morning that Orvis is having a fly tying special right now, 20% off most anything fly tying related.

The Regal vises are currently selling for $150...

Vises & Tools | Fly Tying -- Orvis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123