Vises

Pocono

Reaction score
Any advice on a good fly tying vise for a beginner tier? I'm currently looking at a Regal RCR-4. I like the tightness with which the jaws hold the fly. A friend tried to steer me towards a Renzetti, but the adjustments look to be way over the top vs. what I think I need for an entry level vise.

wfosborn

Reaction score
I've been using a Griffin Montana Mongoose and very happy with it for the price. Quick, easy adjustments and holds a hook great. Also comes with quite a bit of accessories and a decent case for it. Good rotary for quite a bit less than the Renzetti's. If you want a good vise but don't want to dump a ton of money on it right now check it out.

Griffin Montana Mongoose Fly Tying Vise, Rotary Vise fly fishing gear

--W

jayraider

Reaction score
hey whats up man:

i started tying a few months ago. i got the rotary kit from cabelas, and it works great. i figure if i get better i will get a higher quality vise. it actually holds the hook very tight and i would highly recommend this kit for a beginner. if you have some previous tying experience then you might wanna go ahead and get an upgraded vise. good luck man! a day has not gone by that i did not tie a fly since i got it!

Attachments

shorthaul

Reaction score
Ive used a Thompson "A" vise until Regal came out in the 80's---i thought i needed a rotary vise so i bought a Dyna King "barracuda" and hated it and sold it in a month---im back on the Regal---bulletproof and no adjusting from #28 to 4/0 and no slipping or breaking hooks

nralover

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I have considered buying a vise myself, and have beed told the Peak vises are very nice also. Does anyone use them?

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've used a Dan Vise for years and its still working well. One it wears out, I plan on getting a Renzetti Cam Traveler, or a Montana Mongoose.

philthy

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I have considered buying a vise myself, and have beed told the Peak vises are very nice also. Does anyone use them?
I've had the Peak rotary for about a year now and it's served me well. I started with the standard jaws, but they were too big for the flies I tie (normally sz 20-28). I soon had to opt for the midge jaws. I'm not sure if they've upgraded the screws on the later ones, but there's been some reports of the plastic ones stripping out. There's a brass screw upgrade kit for about 10 bucks, but I haven't had a single problem with mine.

I haven't seen near the comments about the Peak that you see about Renzetti, Danvise, etc. I really like mine for what it's worth.

Phil

tie one on

Reaction score
We have had this discussion on more than one
occasion, but it never hurts to discuss it some
more.

I personally have tied flies on three different vises.
1. Was a cheap non-rotating vise to start at home.
2. Took 5 fly tying classes at my local fly shop using Renzetti.
3. Purchased a Peak vise about 2 years ago & still use it exclusively.

After using my Peak I do not have any plans at all to change.
As before in previous threads, there are as many opinions as there
are different vises. Ask questions & gather information. There have
been several article written in Flyfishing magazines & numerous websites
have their test results available. Research never hurts.

My overall advice to beginners is to take some classes first of
all. Secondly, if you decide tying is for you, purchase one that
has all the qualities you want, but won't empty your wallet.

Tie One On

sandfly

Reaction score
I have tied and owned several over the years. The one i like for beginners is the Anvil Apex vice, comes with a C-clamp and pedestal. Can hold from 32's to 6/0 with ease. lifetime warrenty.rotary and adjustable tilt.. All for around 100.00

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

The best advice is to take lessons before you buy. If you can't take a lesson ask a local shop to tye a fly or two for you so you can see what it is all about. If you buy a very inexpensive vice you will be buying a better vice later and you have wasted the cost of the cheap vise. If you buy a good and popular vise you can sell it if you find that fly tying is not your bag. Even if you have to discount it you won't be any worse off than if you bought a cheap vise and then stopped tying.

I may have to re-think my position after seeing this Anvil Apex vise. It looks like a great vise to start with. I have never seen one or used one but it looks like a great beginner vise. This is a vise you could travel with or use for Saltwater or as a backup. This is an American made vise and I am impressed by the design. It seems very robust and comes with both a pedestal and clamp base. It doesn't seem to be a great rotary vise but I could live with that.

Thanks to Sandfly for pointing out this vise. Sandfly, can you tell us how well it holds hooks and is the rotary feature easy to use? I assume you have sold these at your shop. For $100 these seems like a good buy.

Frank

Anvil Apex

1. Stainless Steel Construction
2. Tool Steel Jaws
3. Compact Design
4. Ties from 7/0 to 32 hooks
5. Simple Adjustment
6. Rotating Head
7. Infinitely adjustable up and down tilting head.
8. Simple lock up
9. Includes a Pedestal base AND a C-Clamp
10. Lifetime Warranty

troutnut4

Reaction score
I new to fly fishing and this forum and this is also my first attempt at a comment. I have entertained tying my own flies to beat the cabin fever here in Nova Scotia' winter. I have looked at alot of vises on the web and am fascinated with the NorVise. Any reason why this vise shouldn't be considered as a buy? A wealth of knowledge and experience displayed from your members. Glad that I found the site.

Reaction score
while this is a very old thread (last comment before yours was 2008) i'll chime in that you should buy what you feel you can afford in terms of quality.
Nor vise has its backers, like pretty much any vise out there.

If you have the opportunity, get out to a fly shop and test out a few.

one caveat - Dont tie flies to save money. that is the wrong reason to get into it.

troutnut4

Reaction score
while this is a very old thread (last comment before yours was 2008) i'll chime in that you should buy what you feel you can afford in terms of quality.
Nor vise has its backers, like pretty much any vise out there.

If you have the opportunity, get out to a fly shop and test out a few.

one caveat - Dont tie flies to save money. that is the wrong reason to get into it.
Thanks for the advice. Especially the last comment. That would apply to fishing and hunting as well. I retired in 2012 and need a hobby (in addition to fly fishing) and I thought this could be one that I would enjoy, especially through the cold winter months indoors. Thanks again.

jaybo41

Reaction score
The good news from what I've gleaned from your post is that you have all of the RIGHT reasons to get into it. Tying is a wonderful hobby and a perfect complement to fly fishing. As you also mentioned, wonderful during the winter months. Congratulations on your retirement.

nrp5087

Reaction score
The Anvil Apex Vise is what i have now. I really like it and costs 99$. Its a rotary comes with a solid base and a table clamp and its all metal parts so no worries about cheap stuff breaking. Its good for beginners and for advanced tiers and will last a life time. Its an investment

Product Review: Anvil Apex Fly Tying Vise

HA didnt see that post up there woops! good choice though

kayo

Reaction score
WOW a 2008 post from Pocono on a vise. What you using now a days Pocono?;)

dabluz

Reaction score
I have been making flies for around 40 years now and I've always used cheap vises. Ok....when I started out, the only vises I found cost less than 15 dollars. A few years later I bought a vise for about 25 dollars and it has done me well but sometimes, hooks would move while in the vise. I tie size 28 to 5/0 hooks. The 2 vises I had used were type Thompson with the lever behind the stem of the vise.

I recently bought a 40 dollar copy of the Regal vise. I was a bit worried at it being too weak to hold hooks very well but the guy at the fly fishing shop showed me how strong these vises really are. I just love the vise.

silver creek

Reaction score
+1 on the above. We never get any follow up on these "beginner" thread. I bet that if he is still tying, it is even money that he has different vise.

Norvise would not be my first choice for a beginner vise. People either love them or hate them.

The number one vise I see at conclaves is the Renzetti Traveller. I use a Renzetti Master and the traveller as my student vise.

Pocono

Reaction score
Yup, started tying in 2008. First vise was a Regal Medallion. Second vise, and the one that I currently use, is a Renzetti Traveller; a Christmas present from my wife at the end of 2008.

I put tying on hold when we moved out of the Pocono Mountains in May, 2011, but I'm climbing back into my tying chair more now.

Pocono