Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First dry fly

Default First dry fly

Just a simple Adams, I've only been tying alittle bit but I mainly fish dries so I should probably learn to tie them as well. I don't think it's horrible, the abdomen needs to be alittle skinnier I know but I'm looking for criticism. If anyone can throw some pointers out there I'd appreciate it.

Ryan
    Jack of all trades, Master of none.

Default Re: First dry fly

The tail is a little short, would recommend 1 1/2 times hook gap and appears the tail tips were clipped, think they look more natural if not clipped so you get the fine tapered points. You have done a good job for just beginning and I agree with your thoughts on the abdomen. I rarely have the time to practice but when possible I always find the improvements come much faster if I tie the same fly repeatedly. Your finger agility improves and the refinements just seem to come together.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

3. Likes mcnerney, repperson29, hairwing530 liked this post

I plan on sitting down and tying a dozen tomorrow, man is it a pain in the ass to hold those tiny barbs for the tail, what a pain.

Thanks for the critique

Ryan

After tying a dozen you won't find it as difficult...Guarantee.

When adding dubbing to a waxed thread use less dubbing, it will give you better control.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Ard helped me with this about the tail. When you wind your thread back to stopping point,,wind some over itself and make a tiny ball,,knot,,,hump...with your thread at the very back end. That will splay out your tail into a fan'esk type deal what will help stabalize your flly. On 14's and 16's,,you can even run a thing ring of grey (for Adams) dubbing for a hump at the rear. Then, get your fibers even on the tips,,,measure your length,,,lay them dead center the top of the 'knot' and push down on each side with your thumb,,that should put some fibers on both sides of the knot. Pinch wrap a couple turns, pull snug,,,then pinch wrap a few more moving forward slowly.
    That should do it. Sounds complicated but after a few,,it's very natural and easy.

Mike
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

7. Likes jaybo41, repperson29 liked this post

It's OK for your First Dry as mentioned after you Tie A Dozen or so you will have it sorted out The Adam's will catch Fish for you as it's a terrific Fly.
    Brian

9. Likes repperson29 liked this post

Ryan, not bad for first dry. Here's a chart that might help

Fly Prortportion

11. Likes repperson29 liked this post
    Blog Entries

assuming this is an adams

tail too short + they were cut. should be grizzly and brown

hackle too big + not enough wraps. should also be grizzly and brown

wings in the wrong place + too big

dubbing too much

tutorial

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

13. Likes repperson29, jaybo41, hairwing530 liked this post

Thanks for all the tips guys, especially fly tire. I'll be back at it tomorrow

Ryan

16. Likes repperson29 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast