Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  46
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hendrickson's

Default Re: Hendrickson's

.....lol "a new can of beans".

There is nothing new about the stage "emerger" with regards to the fly fisherman. AJ McClane talks about emergers in his book "The Practical Fly Fisherman" and the book was published in 1953; and I'm sure it was old news then.

Sometimes you just have to dig a little deeper into the sports history and books. You will find that lots of "new ideas" have been worn out in the past and forgotten until somebody with a sharpened pencil brings it up again. I know that I have to dig before I make conclusions...the first recorded fly "the Hipporus" was prolly an emerger by today's definition.

carry on

I was inspired to try a Hendrickson myself. Not good as ya'll's but should catch a fish. Size 14. Now I see one spot were I didnt spin my dubbing tight enough,,,on well,,I ain't undoing this one,,it'll get wet and work.

I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

3. Likes calftail, silvertip8k, lv2nymph liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by calftail View Post
    .....lol "a new can of beans".

There is nothing new about the stage "emerger" with regards to the fly fisherman. AJ McClane talks about emergers in his book "The Practical Fly Fisherman" and the book was published in 1953; and I'm sure it was old news then.
    In the second (1952) edition of Ray Bergman's Trout, he gives a dressing for an "Emergent Dry Nymph (Brown)" that he attributes to Ernest Hille of Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It's what we would now call a no-hackle pattern, with just a dubbed body and some quill-slip wings.

Trout - Ray Bergman - Google Books

The parachute-style emerger I tied isn't really my own invention. It's based on some of the emerger patterns in Thomas Ames' Hatch Guide for New England Streams. It's also similar to many Klinkhamer patterns, except that it's tied on a swimming nymph hook.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hatch-Guide-New-England-Streams/dp/1571882103"]Hatch Guide for New England Streams: Thomas Ames Jr., David B. Tibbetts: 0066066004246: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mwXiWd5AL.@@AMEPARAM@@51mwXiWd5AL[/ame]

5. Likes calftail liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
    Beautiful tie... wow!
    Agreed....
    There is a need to fish, to be in the water. It soothes the soul.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123