Ray Bergman's book "trout" giveaway

lv2nymph

Reaction score
I thought this would be a nice way to pass some winter away, I hope you all do as well. I recently came into some books and this was one of them, I already have it so what I'm going to do is give it to one of you. But you'll have to work for your supper, I propose a tying contest. Number of tiers is dependent on how many responses there are. The fly to tie is from the book and it is the March brown English male. What I'm thinking is if you'd like to do this post with I'm in and please give you're full name in the response. The names will be placed in a hat and blindly picked ( actuall number to be determined by resonces) by my lovely daughter. I will then post the names of the tiers here. At that point you can pm me your contact info and I will send you mine. Send to me one fly for entry. ( flies and containers will not be returned)I will take photos of them and post them numbered in a poll. The judging will be done by the forum members, in the event of a tie it will be broken by our mods. The timeline to tie your fly will be at least similar to a swap timeline. Length of judging will be determined by how active it is. I humbly ask if you have this book already to let this to the members that do not have a copy yet. Thanks, Jack
The fly:

Tag: gold tinsel
Tail: partridge, dark
Ribbing: gold tinsel
Body: gray-brown dubbing
Hackle: partridge, dark
Wing: pheasant, dark

Your prize:

dc410

Reaction score
Looks like a good time. I'm in. I would love to have a copy of Bergman's book. Hope I get the chance. Nice idea, Jack.

Thanks,

John Latschar

eastfly66

Reaction score
Cool idea , I am a lousy tier but it will be fun to watch !

planettrout

Reaction score
That is a wonderful book for someone to add to a collection. I got that same (pictured) hard copy back in 1974 and a soft cover for my son in Ennis,MT in 2001.That book motivated me to get into tying and Fly Fishing...

The only person I am aware of that has tied just about every fly, featured in the book's plates is Don Bastian (where the March Brown English Male came from). One may view his other ties HERE:

Ray Bergman Collection | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Great deal !!!

PT/TB :thumbsupu

Reaction score
Another tyer, John McCoy has also tied them all, though these have not been published online on an open platfrom, at least to my knowledge.
If, however, you are a member of fly tying forum, you can likely view some of them on the pattern database.

The link above contains approx half the flies from bergman, there are over 400

Last edited:

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It will take one heck of a tie to beat Eunan out! I'm going to just observe. I checked this book out of the library numerous times when I was a kid just starting out fly tying and fly fishing.

lv2nymph

Reaction score
The link given is where I obtained the picture for the example fly... Small Internet... I'm surprised you don't have it as well Eunan, as far as this kind of thing goes you always struck me as a classics kinda guy.

Reaction score
The link given is where I obtained the picture for the example fly... Small Internet... I'm surprised you don't have it as well Eunan, as far as this kind of thing goes you always struck me as a classics kinda guy.
I used to have a lot of early editions, but was stuck for cash at one time so sold them...Bergman was one, First edition JJ Hardy was another, Francis Francis, Maxwell etc etc etc.

Slowly working to build up the collection again....

gencon

Reaction score
Well ok, I am in. Jack twisted my arm a bit. But he also encouraged my to join your forum. Quill wings are my nemesis but I will give it a shot. Nothing to loose,
right. I know there is some stiff competition.

GenCon

Last edited:

dc410

Reaction score
Hey, welcome GenCon. Thanks for joining in on the tying contest. I really think this is a cool idea that Jack came up with. I really have only tied flies to catch fish up to this point. To tie one for the sole purpose of winning a contest is a brand new challenge that I am really looking forward to. This is a great opportunity to push yourself just a bit out of your comfort zone which usually isn't a bad thing. This should be a lot of fun, but we sure could use some more tyers. C'mon all you tyers, step up to the plate!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm giving this thread a bump :)

Although I've made and fished a good number of the patterns from the book I won't be getting into the fray on this. I had a copy of this on my shelves for many years but sold it quite a while back to a collector. It was a first edition with hand written personalization from the author and so it helped to pay for a reel. The patterns are almost limitless and you can spend many a cold night just looking for the one that you have everything on hand to tie.

Good luck fellows and I can't wait to see all the flies.

Ard

lv2nymph

Reaction score
I'm rather surprised at the lack of interest in this, but then I guess you never know how things will go. I was sure I'd have more tiers than I knew what to do with hence the safeguard of needing to draw names from a hat. After the turn of the new year the tying will begin for those that have joined...

Reaction score
I'm rather surprised at the lack of interest in this, but then I guess you never know how things will go. I was sure I'd have more tiers than I knew what to do with hence the safeguard of needing to draw names from a hat. After the turn of the new year the tying will begin for those that have joined...
Why not put it out to other forums your a member of as well...you might get some more participants from there too

Just a thought...

Eunan

lv2nymph

Reaction score
Eunan, that's good thought but I wanted to do this here because I enjoy this forum so much I wanted to give a little something back. There are so many good people on here I wanted give one of them/you a chance at what I believe to be a rare prize and we could all have some fun in the process. Really the only other forum I'm on the most I've already given materials and such away so I wanted to to do this here. Seeing as how this forum covers the "entire" country I was really worried about having way to many that also thought this would be a good time. But if three is all that jumps in so be it.;) I figure on the first of January I'll call it for signing up and the first of February will be the time to send in the flies. Jack