Favorite YouTube Fly Tier

ted4887

Reaction score
Davie Mcphail is definitely one of my favorites. He's like the Mr. Rogers of fly tying.

weiliwen

Reaction score
One more for Davie, tha' wee Scotsman! My wife walked by me the other day as I was listening to his latest video and asked me what language he was speaking.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
Tightline does the most professional productions. All shots and narration are planned out with tight edits and a nice audio track. Everybody else sits in front of their vises and narrate as they tie. Among my favorites in this group are Davie McPhail and Jim Misiura.

dean_mt

Reaction score
1. hans weilenmann

2. tightlines

3. ontheriffle

4. davie mcphail
I would put my ranking in the exact same order. While McPhail is an amazing fly tyer he puts me to sleep. He talks too much and makes the videos seem a lot longer than they actually are, and a 10 minute video for a basic fly is upper limit already. But he is great, he makes it look too easy.

I love tightline videos for how straight forward they are with good patterns and solid tips. Matt Grober is a great fly tyer and the narrator's dry wit and humor is brilliant.

Now Weilenmann on the other hand is almost McPhail's antithesis in style. His patterns are sparse and often no more than three materials. He is the most efficient tyer I've ever seen; minimum thread turns, always just enough of any material necessary, he is a zen master on the vise. I simply prefer this type of fly design for fishing flies. Watch how he ties in a hackle and his thread at the same time...so good.

schnipster

Reaction score
i believe it is Jim Misuira...dude speaks to me --makes me tie..like at a subconscious level...lol:D

Jimmie

Reaction score
The one that I select from a google list most often is "In-The-Riffle".Others that I love watching are any from Davie MacPhail; Charlie Craven; Kelly Galloup; Barrett Christiansen; or the KWSU series.
Plus there are many on here whose tying I'd love to watch on a video.

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
Hans, Davie are my top favorites. I agree with dean_mt's comments about Hans, he's incredibly efficient and his patterns are simplistic from a materials perspective and have an incredible sparse and buggy profile. I've learned lots from both of these guys. Hans' CDC and Elk is a favorite of mine and his method of tying in the wing has helped me immensely.

Tightlines is another great source for videos that I enjoy and find helpful.

All of these guys are amazing tiers.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Jay, I finally got around to tying the CDC and Elk caddis just last night. I've watched the video more than once and it was on my list of flies to tie when I get to tying caddisflies again. I read an interview with Hans a while ago and he talked about the pattern and how he can fish for days with just a tin full of those flies. I loved it.

I watched it once more, so quick and easy to follow, and tied one up. Then I cranked out 6 more like nothing. His winging style with the hair wing is excellent, way better than the traditional method in my opinion.