Water Proofing Flies

ts47

Reaction score
Two questions:

1. What is the best waterproofing agent to treat your flies with prior to getting on the water? I'm thinking a small jar of something to dip them in while still at home, let them dry and help keep them floating high.

2. Is there a generic version that is just as good and doesn't cost $7+ plus shipping for one measly ounce of it?

Thanks!!

bruce m

Reaction score
I forget where I got the idea but if you get some of the liquid silicone waterproof solution that you put on your boots and one of those little extendable magnets, you can drown your newly tied flies in the bottle of silicone overnight.

ts47

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I posted this late last night and just noticed my spelling error in the title. Hopefully one of the mods will fix that. :rolleyes:

smilingduck

Reaction score
It's called "Holy Water" and all my dry flys are blessed with it! Make up a batch and try it you can thank me later.

ts47

Reaction score
It's called "Holy Water" and all my dry flys are blessed with it! Make up a batch and try it you can thank me later.
Are you referring to the Ray Bergman/DrLogik recipe?

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

This... not cheap but worth every cent:

TIEMCO SHIMAZAKI DRY-SHAKE Liquid | TIEMCO

PT/TB
PT,

Is this to dunk your flies in after tying, to be used on the water, or both?

flytire

Reaction score
from the internet

Shimazaki Dry Shake Liquid is a liquid version of the popular Shimazaki Dry Shake. Just dip your flies and you are ready to go! Perfect for your vest or tying table. Dip flies in after you finish tying and let them dry and they will float like a cork when you hit the river.

ts47

Reaction score
from the internet

Shimazaki Dry Shake Liquid is a liquid version of the popular Shimazaki Dry Shake. Just dip your flies and you are ready to go! Perfect for your vest or tying table. Dip flies in after you finish tying and let them dry and they will float like a cork when you hit the river.
Thanks Flytire!

Walter1023

Reaction score
SERIOUSLY.......GET YOURSELF A 5 YEAR SUPPLY OF THE BEST DRY FLY SOLUTION FOR UNDER $10......Get Yourself Scotch Guard Heavy Duty Silicone Water Repellent......at walmart or such for about $7 a spray bottle.

This is the stuff they use to water repel tents/fabric etc from heavy rains....just imagine what it will do for your dry flies.

You can spray some into a small container (the size of the plastic cups a fly shop used to put your flies in).....use a tweezer and dip your flies into the solution completely but briefly soaking them - then put them onto a paper towel (or two paper towels) and allow them to dry for 24 hours. I have not seen any technique better than that

http://www.scotchgard.com/wps/porta...Repellent?N=4340+3293253038+3294529207&rt=rud

planettrout

Reaction score

btwom67

Reaction score
Two questions:

1. What is the best waterproofing agent to treat your flies with prior to getting on the water? I'm thinking a small jar of something to dip them in while still at home, let them dry and help keep them floating high.

2. Is there a generic version that is just as good and doesn't cost $7+ plus shipping for one measly ounce of it?

Thanks!!
If you want the best the Shimazaki Liquid is the best hands down argument over. It is $15 per 30ml that should treat around 4-5 dozen flies. A less expensive albeit very good alternative is Loon Hydrostop. You can treat more flies but in my experience the Shimazaki is worth the premium price because you will redress the fly far less. I have brewed up a batch of the Ray Bergman formula in the past, it is really very effective but between buying the stuff cooking it and fitting it into a bottle It just isn't worth the time and effort and mess. I'd rather buy a product that is just as good or better for $15 and be done with it. If you fish a lot of dries you wont be disappointed with Shimazaki or Hydrostop. I have not seen Flyagra at my fly shop so I have not given it a try.

ts47

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback.

I'm headed out of town fishing for the next four days. I'll look at this more when I get back.

btwom67

Reaction score
If you want the best the Shimazaki Liquid is the best hands down argument over. It is $15 per 30ml that should treat around 4-5 dozen flies. A less expensive albeit very good alternative is Loon Hydrostop. You can treat more flies but in my experience the Shimazaki is worth the premium price because you will redress the fly far less. I have brewed up a batch of the Ray Bergman formula in the past, it is really very effective but between buying the stuff cooking it and fitting it into a bottle It just isn't worth the time and effort and mess. I'd rather buy a product that is just as good or better for $15 and be done with it. If you fish a lot of dries you wont be disappointed with Shimazaki or Hydrostop. I have not seen Flyagra at my fly shop so I have not given it a try.
If you need a floatant or a way to float small and CDC flies Tiemco Dry Magic is another winner from the guys who make Shimazaki. CDC is not something to be pre-treated or treated with most paste type floatants, but Dry Magic is one of only a couple floatants usuable with a cdc fly. It too is expensive but it lasts roughly 2x as long as other floatants I've used. Whatever Tiemco is doing they know how to float a fly!

smilingduck

Reaction score
For $15 I can make a few lifetime supplies of the Ray Bergman "Holy Water". I carry a bottle and will bless my fly again after catching a trout. I can't believe more anglers don't use it I've never bought any floatant that can even come close. It does take a little work I just pour it in small glass jars and keep one in my vest, another next to my vise and a spare in the truck.

Now for CDC it isn't good like stated but for all other dries and poly yarn bobbers it's the best floatant in my opinion.