Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fly Tying Thread Comparison Video

Newbie fly tyers often ask about the various fly tying thread. Here is a video comparison of the major brands of tying thread;

YouTube
    Last edited by silver creek; 09-19-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Fly Tying Thread Comparison Video

Thanks Silver!!!!! Absolutly facinating stuff, and a first that I've ever seen on this topic. I'm going to give this thread a 'five star' rating.

Fred
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

3. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Default Re: Fly Tying Thread Comparison Video

This is great Silver! Thanks for posting.

One correction to this video about the Veevus thread...

Credit goes to PlanetTrout for posting this link originally: Fly Tying Thread Table | Global FlyFisher

Veevus 12/0 and 14/0 (70 denier) are what match Uni 8/0 (72 denier) and UTC 70 Denier. I will also point out that Daville 6/0 is also a 70 denier thread.

Veevus 8/0 is actually a 110 denier thread.
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

Good info, I'm a "there's a difference?" tyer. My thread is a mixture of UTC and UNI and I like the way UTC flattens out. For the small stuff I'm usually use UNI 12/0, for nymphs its normally UNI 8/0 ocasionally UNI 6/0. for Buggers its back to UTC 140 denier
    The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
    Tom McGuane

6. Likes onemississipp, hairwing530, stenacron liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    Newbie fly tyers often ask about the various fly tying thread. Here is a video comparison of the major brands of tying thread;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvLgE20W-Rc
    Great Video...I've tried them all and still like the Danville Flymaster for the 70denier size(Trout Size). I like the Gordon Griffiths Shear for the little bugs. Tiemco thread is still a favorite for the little bugs too but Planet Trout may have the remaining world supply before they stopped making it.

8. Likes ts47, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by btwom67 View Post
    Great Video...I've tried them all and still like the Danville Flymaster for the 70denier size(Trout Size). I like the Gordon Griffiths Shear for the little bugs. Tiemco thread is still a favorite for the little bugs too but Planet Trout may have the remaining world supply before they stopped making it.
    I've heard the Gordon Griffiths mentioned a few times. No one I know (usually do business with) sells it. It is what Hans Weilenmann uses. I just tied one of his patterns. I'll have to find some and give it a try!
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

10. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

its pretty readily available online I think you will like it for your smaller flies.

12. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
  13. Default Re: Fly Tying Thread Comparison Video

I much prefer the Danville 70 denier thread to the UTC and the Danville is the thread that has been around the longest, way longer than UNI or UTC. I have used UNI 8/0 and 6/0 a lot for the reason mentioned as I used to do a lot of cement and tile work which left me with rough hands. The Uni threads are much better for cinching down hard materials such as calf tail or squirrel tail hair because it has better bite being round versus flat. For the flossy type of threads the danville spools are 200 yards and cost less than the UTC which are only 100 yards.

14. Likes stenacron liked this post

Very informative. Thanks for posting it.
    “Fishing … [is] a way out of, a way back from, a world that’s faster, more complicated, and more ruthless than it needs to be.” - John Gierach, Trout Bum

Blog Entries

Very informative.

Thanks for posting, silver.
    steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast