Fly Tying Thread Comparison Video

ts47

Reaction score
This is great Silver! Thanks for posting.

One correction to this video about the Veevus thread...

Credit goes to PlanetTrout for posting this link originally: Fly Tying Thread Table | Global FlyFisher

Veevus 12/0 and 14/0 (70 denier) are what match Uni 8/0 (72 denier) and UTC 70 Denier. I will also point out that Daville 6/0 is also a 70 denier thread.

Veevus 8/0 is actually a 110 denier thread.

zug buggin

Reaction score
Good info, I'm a "there's a difference?" tyer. My thread is a mixture of UTC and UNI and I like the way UTC flattens out. For the small stuff I'm usually use UNI 12/0, for nymphs its normally UNI 8/0 ocasionally UNI 6/0. for Buggers its back to UTC 140 denier

btwom67

Reaction score
Newbie fly tyers often ask about the various fly tying thread. Here is a video comparison of the major brands of tying thread;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvLgE20W-Rc
Great Video...I've tried them all and still like the Danville Flymaster for the 70denier size(Trout Size). I like the Gordon Griffiths Shear for the little bugs. Tiemco thread is still a favorite for the little bugs too but Planet Trout may have the remaining world supply before they stopped making it.

ts47

Reaction score
Great Video...I've tried them all and still like the Danville Flymaster for the 70denier size(Trout Size). I like the Gordon Griffiths Shear for the little bugs. Tiemco thread is still a favorite for the little bugs too but Planet Trout may have the remaining world supply before they stopped making it.
I've heard the Gordon Griffiths mentioned a few times. No one I know (usually do business with) sells it. It is what Hans Weilenmann uses. I just tied one of his patterns. I'll have to find some and give it a try!

bbbruce77

Reaction score
I much prefer the Danville 70 denier thread to the UTC and the Danville is the thread that has been around the longest, way longer than UNI or UTC. I have used UNI 8/0 and 6/0 a lot for the reason mentioned as I used to do a lot of cement and tile work which left me with rough hands. The Uni threads are much better for cinching down hard materials such as calf tail or squirrel tail hair because it has better bite being round versus flat. For the flossy type of threads the danville spools are 200 yards and cost less than the UTC which are only 100 yards.

Acheron

Reaction score
Thank you! Even for non-newbies it's an excellent video.

Something about that flat waxed thread...mmm..mmm good stuff.

coug

Reaction score
Kelly Galloup and his thoughts:

His info videos are very informative. I am in my off-season tying craze and just watched this one on thread and his other on bobbins. Great information. Have never tried gel spun thread as I have so much Uni and UTC. His bobbin video did give me the case of the wants for new bobbins.

JoJer

Reaction score
I had that problem with the GSP in the smaller size: hung-up a strand or two, never could locate the "end", trashed most of the spool.

silver creek

Reaction score
What's a denier?
Trev,

Denier is defined as the weight in grams of 9000 meters of thread. It is a measure of the mass of thread. So in general, the higher the denier of thread of identical material, the stronger it will be.

It is a more accurate measurement of how thick the tread will be for identical materials. In the "ought" system, for example an 8-0 nylon thread can vary in the actual amount of material depending on the manufacturer. So a manufacturer can advertise their thread as being 8-0, but it will have the same amount of material and be as thick as another manufacturer's 6-0 thread.

The denier system "levels the playing field."

Here is a chart I pulled from a publication on denier.

Note the 8/0 Gudebrod and Benecchi polyester thread on the chart below. The Gudebrod breaks at 15 oz. and the Benecchi breaks at 1 lb 13 oz/ The reason is that although both are advertised as 8/0, the Benecchi uses twice as much material!!!!

You can read this article by Chris Helm.

Here's an article by Charlie Craven.

Another important property in the choice of thread is the material. For beginners, I think they should start with a nylon thread. The reason is that nylon will stretch under tension, and then contract. So I think it makes it easier for them to keep the thread wraps tight because they will be wound under tension.

Last edited: