Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyers block

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tyers block

sure i've had times when i didnt want to tie but it was because of 'tyers block'

then there are the patterns that i just dont like to tie but that doesnt equate into 'tyers block'

heart attacks, cataract surgery, flu, sinus infections, taking care of an 89 year old parent, doing chores around my house, arthritis, trigger finger etc etc etc. these all put a damper on fly tying but nothing to do with 'tyers block'

now you all know my medical history

i've tied flies for 35+ years and i no longer need to tie every day to prove anything. ive caught enough fish on the flies i've tied so thats no longer a big deal

sooner than later i'll be attempting to sell my books and materials. i'm not going to live forever and have no heirs to leave it to.
    Last edited by flytire; 02-28-2016 at 05:17 AM.
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

2. Likes bigjim5589 liked this post

carp and bass,

Back to the PS of your original post.

Here is a pattern that I have done real well with over the years on native brookies. It is a variant of the Picket Pin and this one is tied on a size 12 streamer hook. You can weight it with lead wire, put a bead on the front or use small bead chain eyes and tie it Clouser style if you want. I think the effectiveness of this pattern comes from the use of two of the best time tested fly tying materials: grizzly hackle and peacock herl. The fly is called the Pick Pocket. If you want to get away from the standard wooly bugger, this pattern or a standard Picket Pin are worth a shot going underneath for brookies.

John

4. Likes bigjim5589, Rip Tide, 120 grain liked this post

Norm, sounds like you've had enough distractions in your life to limit your tying, once you got back to it, you were ready to tie! I've had some surgeries that kept me from tying, but usually towards the end of the recouping when I could move around better I spent time at the vise to pass the time. Tyers block was not an issue then for me either.

I've been tying a bit longer than you have, but still pick up some great tips, and sometimes a few chuckles from your many informative posts! Thank You!

John, the Picket Pin has long been a favored fly of mine. It's a good trout & SM bass fly. That's a nice variation too! Thanks for posting it!

carp & bass, I've been going thru a time of tyers block recently. I have a trout fishing trip with my one son the end of March, already have plenty of flies, but seemed to be missing something, yet wasn't sure what I wanted to tie. Your thread has given me some good ideas too! Thank you also!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

I started tying when I was a kid and I've tied all my own flies since the mid 70's.
    I don't fish with flies that I haven't tied myself

That said, I only tie when I'm motivated to do so.
    There's no "tyer's block" involved, I just don't care for doing it enough to spend a lot of time at it.
    For me, tying flies is just a "chore" that needs to be done if you want to have flies to fish with.
    I know that I'll never be a great tier and my flies will never be mistaken for "store bought", I just don't get a lot of practice. But after all this time, I do have a lot of experience and that counts too.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

7. Likes Vulpes, bigjim5589 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I started tying when I was a kid and I've tied all my own flies since the mid 70's.
    I don't fish with flies that I haven't tied myself

That said, I only tie when I'm motivated to do so.
    There's no "tyer's block" involved, I just don't care for doing it enough to spend a lot of time at it.

For me, tying flies is just a "chore" that needs to be done if you want to have flies to fish with.
    I know that I'll never be a great tier and my flies will never be mistaken for "store bought", I just don't get a lot of practice. But after all this time, I do have a lot of experience and that counts too.
    This, but really the whole post sums up my tying actually. I enjoy it only when I really am in the mood. I don't go way out of my way to tie all the time.

9. Likes bigjim5589 liked this post

Dc could you post the recipie for that pickpocket fly, when I googled it I only came up with a nymph that looked like a copper John.

Quote Originally Posted by 120 grain View Post
    Dc could you post the recipie for that pickpocket fly, when I googled it I only came up with a nymph that looked like a copper John.
    Picketpin, not pickpocket
    And I think that dc410's might be based on the Don Bastian variation

Bastian’s Red Squirrel Silver Picket Pin SBS Don Bastian Wet Flies

[ame]http://youtu.be/qpedwMUXYBA[/ame]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

deleted posting
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 120 grain View Post
    Yeah, you won't find even a photo of this particular pattern if you google Pick Pocket. This fly was featured in Mid Atlantic Flyfishing Guide magazine probably somewhere back in the mid 90's (not sure of the actual issue). It was featured by Mike O'Brian and he called it the "Pick Pocket". I'm not sure whether it is actually his pattern or originated from someone else. I liked the look of it and tied a few up. I've been fishing them ever since as a streamer/wet fly pattern that has produced a lot of fish.

Hook: I like tying them on size 12 - 3xl or 4xl hooks for brookies
    Thread: black 70D UTC
    Tail: golden pheasant tippet
    Body: peacock herl
    Hackle: grizzley hackle palmered
    Wing: fox squirrel tail hair
    Head: peacock herl
    You can weight this fly with lead wire, bead head or small bead chain eyes (tied Clouser style) to ride hook up and bury the hook in the hair wing.

Swing 'em, Strip 'em, dead drift 'em, fish them as a part of a subsurface tandem rig. I have also had real good luck weighting them with a copper bead head. This pattern is fun to tie and even more fun to fish. Good luck!
    John

Hey dc your picture of the fly inspired me to go to sportsmens to get golden pheasant tippets and fox tail. I am a new tyer with not much skill but here is my first try at it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast