hairwing tying tip

flytire

Reaction score
a loop of thread alone around a bundle of hair is not enough to keep the hair from rolling to the far side of the hook. the hair must be held firmly while subsequent wraps of thread are used to hold the hair in place. without holding the hair, thread torque will roll it all over the place

using thread torque to your advantage

silver creek

Reaction score
Nice illustrations and an important technique, Norm.

Orvis used to have the method on one of their web pages but it is no longer there. They called it the "loose noose" method in contrast to the more common "loose loop" method of tying material on the hook.

I described it on this thread but your photos are better.

Materials rolling on hook - help - Beginner's Corner - Fly Tying

"The other method is for tying and placing hair on the hook for a wing such as an elk hair caddis. It is called the Loose Noose Method.

Wrap a thread base at the tie in point. Pinch the elk hair with your index finger on the far side of the hook and your thumb on the near side of the hook. Position the elk hair above the tie in spot, but not on the tie in spot. Bring the thread up on the near side of the hook and make one full loose wrap of thread around the hair only, not the hook.

As you make the second loose wrap, bring the thread over the top of the hair and down the far side and catch the far side of the hook, then make the third complete wrap. Let the bobbin hang free. This will keep light tension on the elk hair and allow you to check to be sure the elk hair is centered on the top of the hook. Make a couple of tight thread wraps to secure and help flair the hair. Take two tight thread wraps through the hair butts to secure the elk hair in place."

spm

Reaction score
...and I just discovered it wandering around in the fly tying forum 7 months later. Good example of how useful it is to post and keep this stuff. Thanks!
Thanks for bumping this. I missed it the first time around.
And thanks for posting it, flytire.

steve