Flyhook makers and the hooks they make

don_p

Reaction score
I'm a big barbless proponent and I found these yesterday following a noted tiers SBS recipe recommendation. Hadn't heard of them before. They look good with a good price, so FWIW I thought I'd give them a try and also pass on the site info. Anyone using these? I'll do a review when I receive them and put them to use.

Firehole Outdoors | Firehole Outdoors

jofer

Reaction score
I'm a big barbless proponent
[/url]
I've been fishing with Knapek hooks, and they're very similar to these.

I found that hook set is better with barbless Hooks and obviously the cath & release is more easy.

Regards

Jofer

planettrout

Reaction score
I'm a big barbless proponent and I found these yesterday following a noted tiers SBS recipe recommendation. Hadn't heard of them before. They look good with a good price, so FWIW I thought I'd give them a try and also pass on the site info. Anyone using these? I'll do a review when I receive them and put them to use.

Firehole Outdoors | Firehole Outdoors

Those hooks are from Joe Mathis who also developed Bug Collars. A bunch of the tiers on "Fly Tying with Uncle Cheech" , on Facebook, are tying on those hooks. Joe used to have a site called "Fly Tying Recipes", started about nine years ago, which is no longer active... he will be adding a bunch of other hooks as they are developed...

PT/TB

hopperjuan

Reaction score
The Bug Collars were released a while back and have been offered through Hareline Dubbin for several years now. I've never heard of this other company and I am guessing they are a knock-off of Bug Collars.

cdnflyfisher

Reaction score
The website at Elk Trading Co. | Elk Trading Co. has Knapek Competition Czech Barbless hooks on sale at just $3.99 USD for a 25-pack. Their supplies are depleting, and some models and sizes are out of stock, but they're great at including one or two extra packs for free in your order! I've ordered from them many times, and the owner is great to deal with, a real gentleman: Elk Trading Co. | Elk Trading Co..

jmcd22

Reaction score
I tried a few packs with mixed results. Too many other good hooks on the market to try and save a few cents on inferior hooks.
What was your experience? I've bought a few packs in place of the Daiichi equivalent.

As for the link on the OP, super helpful! I have found some of the "hook equivalent" pages are helpful as well.

R

Requested Removal

' the fly shack ' sells barbless hooks most of them 100 for 6.99..good quality

johan851

Reaction score
And here I've been compiling my own version of this site like an idiot. :p

It is amazing how different hooks are from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even from size to size within the same exact model. I snapped this picture the other day of three size 16 nymph hooks from three manufacturers. Firehole 633 on top, Mustad S80-3906 middle, Daiichi 1550 on the bottom. It's enough to make you think that maybe nothing actually matters at all...

PXL_20210616_214413957~2.jpg

I do like the Firehole hooks, by the way. My only criticism is potential vanity sizing - they make it easy to impress others with your ability to tie a size 22. :)

silver creek

Reaction score
And here I've been compiling my own version of this site like an idiot. :p

It is amazing how different hooks are from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even from size to size within the same exact model. I snapped this picture the other day of three size 16 nymph hooks from three manufacturers. Firehole 633 on top, Mustad S80-3906 middle, Daiichi 1550 on the bottom. It's enough to make you think that maybe nothing actually matters at all...

View attachment 36912

I do like the Firehole hooks, by the way. My only criticism is potential vanity sizing - they make it easy to impress others with your ability to tie a size 22. :)
I sent a similar photo to Gary Borger and he put on his blog.

http://www.garyborger.com/2012/10/08/all-hooks-are-not-created-equal/

R

Requested Removal

one on the far right.looks to me more of a scud hook

silver creek

Reaction score
one on the far right.looks to me more of a scud hook
It is a scud hook but it is the same "size as" the other two hooks according to the manufacturer of the hook.

Since hooks are sized by length, and the the shank ends where the hook bend starts, it is obvious that the "shank length" and therefore the size of the scud hook should not be the same as the other two hooks.

So it is a good example that shows there is no standard for hook sizes that manufacturers follow.