The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 01-04-2017, 05:36 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Kaleidoscope Midge Thread Cheap

I just picked up some Montana Fly Company 700-Rainbow Midge Body Thread from a local fly shop. I understand that this is the same material Veevus sells as Iridescent Black Rainbow thread. I'm planning to tie some Kaleidoscope (K) Midges with it. I read in a tying magazine that this is embroidery thread repackaged by Veevus and MFC.

After going to the fly shop I had to stop by Wal-Mart. I checked their craft section and found what appears to be (at least to my color blind eyes) the same material. Its not on a convenient spool but comes in a small skein. Its DMC brand E130 Embroidery Floss. The skein breaks down into 12 strands that appear to be the same diameter as the material on the MFC spool.

The spool was $3.30 for 35 meters. The skein was $1.97 for 96 meters (12 strands at 8 meters each). The skein might take a little more effort to tie with but that's a big savings. I do support my local fly shop and encourage everyone to support theirs. If I can save that much on this material I'm not going to pass it up!

Click the image to open in full size.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mridenour liked this post
Old 01-04-2017, 06:36 PM

flytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant future
Default Re: Kaleidoscope Midge Thread Cheap

good find but...

after time and effort of straightening out the skein of material, separating into individual threads, finding spools and spooling the thread onto spools will it still be cost effective?

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Likes pab1 liked this post
Old 01-04-2017, 06:53 PM

guest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to all

Check the thread section of your local craft or sewing store for "Sulky" or "Gutermann" brand threads. Both of these come in come in some nice metallic colors that work well for midge and other fly bodies. They are also easy to work with.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes pab1, weiliwen, mridenour liked this post
Old 01-04-2017, 09:28 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
good find but...

after time and effort of straightening out the skein of material, separating into individual threads, finding spools and spooling the thread onto spools will it still be cost effective?
I don't think I'll go to the effort of spooling it. For the small amount used on size 20 and smaller midges I'll probably just cut short lengths of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
Check the thread section of your local craft or sewing store for "Sulky" or "Gutermann" brand threads. Both of these come in come in some nice metallic colors that work well for midge and other fly bodies. They are also easy to work with.
Thanks for the info! I did pick up a roll of Coats brand metallic thread in copper to try also.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
good find but...

After thinking about my previous post I tied some size 20 K Midges just holding the skein in my hand. Its such a simple pattern that it worked well. I may just wrap the skein around a piece of dowel and place a rubber band around it to keep it from unraveling. I can just alternate the 12 strands from fly to fly.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 AM

JoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant future

I have a bunch of thread and materials like this that I inherited from and inlaw who was a quilter. Pieces of thread like that I would probably just tie it in and manipulated it with some hackle tweezers.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 01-05-2017, 01:18 PM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1 View Post

DMC brand E130 Embroidery Floss.
Found out about DMC floss through the book Midge Magic (Holbrook/Koch) and have used it ever since. Absolutely love the stuff for midge pupae, comes in a massive variety of colors, and is readily available. When my wife wants to stop by Michael's (craft store) I always tell her, "I'll be back in the fly tying section" where the DMC floss and C&C thread displays are.

I also use the DMC floss exclusively for RS2 bodies (single strand, twisted into a rope to form a segmented look) and for soft hackle bodies.

It's great stuff.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mridenour, el jefe, dean_mt, pab1 liked this post
Old 01-05-2017, 02:43 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the DMC floss is nice and the Sulky thread can be used on fly rods also, whereas most embroidery thread is treated or coated which can cause problems with epoxy finishes. Anyway...that rainbow sparkle looks nice!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:16 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute

One of my absolute most productive midge patterns

Dropped off one of these in March or April on tailwater

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes brownbass, pab1 liked this post
Old 01-05-2017, 04:27 PM

brownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to behold

Those are some awesome looking flies.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:05 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
Those are some awesome looking flies.
Thank you

The midge was a local guides creation he shared at a public tying class. The wire soft hackle fly came from the Hot Wire Prince Nymph which is one of my favorite flies. One night tying I decided to tie it on a scud hook and eliminate the biots. Well I tied some and took them fishing and they worked great so now its a "go to"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dean_mt, pab1, brownbass liked this post