Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Easiest loop dubbing method

Ard, You're forgetting; the "So easy a caveman could do it"...

Dan

Who'da thought that a five year old post would bloom like this?

On tiny stuff, I don't think I've used dubbing loops on anything smaller than a 12. On a 22 I'm more likely using something like superfine or rabbit that dubs just fine in the standard fashion.

I've actually never done loop dubbed hair as described, as it sounds like more of a pain than its worth. If anyone could post a web/utoob tutorial to convince me otherwise that'd be great.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

You can either use touch dubbing or if you want to use a real fine thread and make a 'micro-loop' use a folded out paper clip to twist the dubbing. The Cal Bird tool I mentioned works fine for smaller flies.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

You really only need super tacky if you're working with real spiky materials or trying to dub a HUGE body. One thing I may have failed to mention (and others may have as well) is when you apply dubbing to the thread (or a loop), you wind it in reverse of the way you're going to apply the thread onto the body... otherwise, as you wrap it on, the loop comes undone.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

The reason I learned to use water in the blender is you get a more even distribution of the materials, especially if you're blending synthetics and naturals (sometimes I use a white nylon yarn cut in fine pieces to mix in with rabbit or squirrel to give it a little sparkle). This keeps it from clumping up, and the synthetics can sometimes melt in the blades if you spin them dry.

I'm not versed in posting online videos but the fur dubbing is pretty easy. I just use a very tacky dubbing wax and apply it to the top inch or so of thread. I use pine squirrel zonker strips and just snip a half inch or so of hair from the strip...it's already lying lined up in a row. I place the strip of fur against the waxed thread, where it sticks, and complete the loop. Spin as usual and the hair turns into a little 'bottle brush' as Huges describes. I then palmer wrap, brushing each wrap back as I go. The precut zonker strips make it a lot easier than cutting from a full patch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12