Mouse patterns

goshawk87

Reaction score
What are everyone's favorite mouse patterns? I am looking for an easy one to tie that doesn't require spinning deer hair (so foam). Any suggestions?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Look at the Moorish Mouse pattern, I am a fly tier but for those I ordered a few dozen in various sizes from Miller's Fly Shop online I think it was and they work as well as the fancy ones. They are relatively cheap and I think I got 4 dozen from them. When you figure my trip to town to find materials then the man hours making them I thought they were a bargain from Miller.

Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is a pattern I did up awhile back, but haven't fished it yet to see how it works, but I liked the idea for the pattern:

I saw this deer hair mouse tying technique online and wanted to give it a try. On this pattern you don't spin the deer hair, instead you tie in a chunk of deer hair on top, then tie in a chunk of Congo hair or Widows web on the bottom, then fold everything back and then advance the thread and repeat until you get to the eye. Sorry I didn't spend much effort in trimming, it was more an exercise in how to tie using this technique:

goshawk87

Reaction score
After looking at the effort to tie, compared to how much I fish them, I am wondering if mice fall into the category of easier to just buy.

scoutm

Reaction score
I used Mr. Hankey and Morrish mouse patterns on a mousing trip and Mr. Hankey was by far more durable and maybe slightly more effective. Take a look at it.

https://youtu.be/0evyAql4V0I

https://youtu.be/XWOKPSOQl6k?t=150

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

After looking at the effort to tie, compared to how much I fish them, I am wondering if mice fall into the category of easier to just buy.
Price to quality these were the best I found and fished.

Mr. Hankey : Top Fly Fishing Flies & Gear at Wholesale Prices - Discountflies.com Online Fly Shop