The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-24-2017, 04:36 AM

fq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud of
Default 70 denier thread for salt water?

I goofed on Ebay (there's a shock). Anyway I bought a bulk lot of UTC thread, 48 spools, labeled " Kevlar and wire, 70 and 140 denier". Now what I got was two spools of kevlar, six spools of fine wire and the rest mostly 70 denier thread in every color of the rainbow. The thread is new and flat waxed. At $65 I have zero complaints with the price. Hell, the Scrooge McDuck part of me just loves looking at it.
But..., I break the thread. A lot. Is this just me being used to 3/0 salt water thread and a matter of technique and practice? Or do I have the wrong thread and need to sell it off and cut my losses? Nothing wrong with the thread, just curious if it's operator error or a poor choice of material.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2017, 05:48 AM

karstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant future
Default Re: 70 denier thread for salt water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
I goofed on Ebay (there's a shock). Anyway I bought a bulk lot of UTC thread, 48 spools, labeled " Kevlar and wire, 70 and 140 denier". Now what I got was two spools of kevlar, six spools of fine wire and the rest mostly 70 denier thread in every color of the rainbow. The thread is new and flat waxed. At $65 I have zero complaints with the price. Hell, the Scrooge McDuck part of me just loves looking at it.
But..., I break the thread. A lot. Is this just me being used to 3/0 salt water thread and a matter of technique and practice? Or do I have the wrong thread and need to sell it off and cut my losses? Nothing wrong with the thread, just curious if it's operator error or a poor choice of material.
Thanks
When I first made a foray into saltwater tying, I had some 70 denier thread and experienced what you mentioned, the easily breaking upon trying to tighten my wraps.

I just set my 70 denier aside for if and when I do something for small freshwater patterns. Keep it, sell it, but I don't think 70 denier is any good for the salt. I think it's important to be able to really bear down and tighten your wraps for saltwater patterns. Otherwise, salty fish pull the patterns apart with their bite pressure and/or sharp teeth.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fq13 liked this post
Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 AM

bigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't quite caught up on the denier conversions yet, but have used 6/0 thread for tying small salt patterns, like Gotcha's & Crazy Charlies of hook sizes 8 to 4.

I use Danville Flat nylon most, even for those smaller hooks, which I think is 210 denier.
Likes karstopo, fq13 liked this post
Old 09-24-2017, 05:16 PM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all

I use different sizes for various things. Threads that break once to often. Get used for underwraps. Weed guards or avoid bulk when material is added on top of another. Right it's a spool of black 3/0 UNI thread.
This looks to bigger than 210 Ultra Thread. Which doesn't break (unless pushed..... pulled maybe).
Never had other than ordinary problems with Danvilles flat waxed.
What took longest to find was a thread for packing hair. And I had it.
Was breaking off everything including kevlar. Past year, started using 30 something year old leftover rod building thread. Might cry when spool runs out.

............. pc
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, fq13 liked this post
Old 09-24-2017, 05:35 PM
70 denier thread for salt water?

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have around 100 spools of rod wrapping thread, and I try to use them whenever possible, but the Danville flat waxed is the go-to for every big fly, salt or otherwise
Likes bigjim5589, mcnerney, fq13 liked this post