Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regal vise talk

Default Regal vise talk

This isn't about deciding on which vise to get , or comparing vises , I have had the regal Vise and love it , it's the rotary vise/w standard size heAd ,
    Lately I've been tying a lot of size #20and smaller flies , I'm on the fence on getting the " Midge head " to add to current vise , it's interchangeable , however it's available for about $130.00 , I'm thinking of just purchasing the Regal travel vise for about $190.00 , complete w/midge head , so I'd have this as a secondary vise for about another $60.00 ?
    What do you guys think , I'm thinking it would be nice , to just have this vise for size#20 and smaller as opposed to swapping out heads every time , the rotary feature is nice but I don't need it for size #20 flies ,
    Ugh lol I guess I'm looking for that push. Lol. I should just pull the trigger , winter is coming and my time at Bench at the vise is what I love ?

Airborne (David)

Default Re: Regal vise talk

I needed a rotary and already had the standard Regal with the heavy base. I bought the Regal rotary with another heavy base. Glad I did - having two vises is handy - I tie with one and use the other to hold flies that are drying...

Go for it - you wont regret two vises!

3. Likes hairwing530, airborne 82nd liked this post

My primary vise is also the Regal Medallion with pedestal & standard jaws and also love tying on it. I have 5 other vises too, so never any problem with hook size ranges.

I seldom tie smaller than an 8 & when I do it's almost never smaller than a 16. If going smaller was the issue, and having to make such a choice for that cost, yes, go for the Regal Travel Vise.

Actually, I bought a Regal knockoff, because I got it cheap and I wanted to see if it would hold some bigger hooks the standard jaws on the Regal won't. I couldn't justify the cost of the Big Game Regal head. My Regal won't hold some hooks in the 3/0 & bigger range depending on the wire diameter, and turns out the knockoff will hold some up to a 5/0. Anything bigger, I have a home made "Vise Grip" tying vise, which literally holds anything, even 10/0 saltwater jig hooks.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

5. Likes hairwing530, airborne 82nd, audax liked this post

David, I have two words; do it! do it, do it, do it, do it.

There, does that give you the push you want?

Besides, getting the other vise, wouldn't it be nice to have the travel vise if or when you do travel?
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

Seriously, did you come on this board expecting someone to tell you NOT to buy a vise? Ard, drug test this guy!

beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

Like bigjim5589 and smp005, I'm also a big fan of the multi-vise system. Aside from an extra head/jaws for my Regal Medallion vise, a Dyna-King Barracuda and an HMH reside in the cabinet near my tying desk, both awaiting a call to duty atop my tying desk. It's nice to have "options..."

That said, what's near the top of my Christmas list? Another Regal head with a set of stainless jaws. In fly-tying, as it is in fly-fishing, the obsession/addiction runs deep, David.

I agree with the guys... Add another Regal to the mix! And, with that, I hear my own Regal calling my name. Let us know what you decide...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Blog Entries

if you are only tying tiny flies then i suppose the midge head would be a benefit (although you do no mention that you cannot tie or having difficulties tying tiny flies on the current vise head)

$130-190 gets me a lot of materials

but if you think the midge head will make you a better tyer, then by all means go for it
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Great advice and input guys , thank you. ...lol. Just pulled trigger , adding the Regal travel / w stainless steel midge head. ... early Christmas lol

Airborne ( David )

11. Likes hairwing530, dennyk liked this post

the midge head is a bit bulky still for the size 20's - glad you went with the stainless steel

13. Likes airborne 82nd, hairwing530 liked this post

I must be missing something. It seems like many people have a multitude of vises. All I have is one vise, Peak Rotary, and it has the standard jaws that came with it, and I have not at any point thought I needed a different vise or jaws. I tie anywhere from size 12 to 22 on it.

But then again, when in Rome, right?

Maybe I'll ask for a Regal for Christmas. Or just buy one myself.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

15. Likes hairwing530, Joey Bagels liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast