Whiting brahma hen cape and its uses

montanacur

Reaction score
I've been playing around with this material for tying soft hackles. Specifically a pattern called the brahma fmj. I haven't used hen hackle much and am a little confused about how best to use it. I've been tying with cape feathers and they seem really thin and wispy compared to pictures I've seen. I've been tying size 14's. Anyone with experience have any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Those look about right for Brahma...
if you wet the flies and see the profile created, you'll see its perfect for nymph legs
I typically tie the feathers in by the tip, like other soft hackles.
If you want a more sparse hackle, you can strip one side.

I have a badger brahma hen cape i dyed blue as a sub for blue jay.

montanacur

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm used to working with game birds for my soft hackles, so the more wispy look seems a bit sparse.

fishmandoug

Reaction score
Looks great to me, but Im no trout.

The other pattern I have tied is a "brahma bugger" which is somewhat like a super bugger's body, but only using the hen feathers.

Here is a great video from Tim Flagler and Tightline productions showing the pattern.

https://youtu.be/59yBlAQectw

montanacur

Reaction score
Do you use the cape feathers or saddles for your soft hackles. I've used the saddles on bigger soft hackles like the October caddis that Tim ties.

silver creek

Reaction score

flytire

Reaction score
that brahma hen in the original post looks to be very fine fibers compared to the feathers i have