Renzetti Master for trout flies?

fender77

Reaction score
From looking at the specs on the Renzetti site, I see that the Master takes a wide range of hook sizes and on paper, it will fit all my needs.

I do believe it will hold a 20-22 hook without problems and for all I know maybe even smaller hooks, but I wonder if it’s enough room to actually tie on let’s say a size 20 hook? As I don’t have the option to try one before I buy one, I thought I ask what you Master-owners think.

I also wonder about how it is to do inline rotary tying on let’s say a TMC 100 size 12 or 14 hook? I see you can position the arm holding the jaws, but the jaws itself are fixed on the arm, which leads me to think that the jaws will point quite a bit upwards leaving less room around the hook?

From just looking it at it it on the web, it seems to do great with bigger hooks and would serve me well with salmon and streamer flies, but I just wonder if it may bee a litt too beefy for size 12-20 hooks. Or what do you guys think?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi fender,

I have owned a Traveler since 1994 and went to have a look at the Master vise before posting. They look quite a bit alike in the jaw position and jaw configuration. I've used the traveler tying #18 & 20 dry flies with no problems at all but hardly needed the rotary feature at all for such small patterns. The rotation came to be handy when tying larger patterns where I had to build bodies from dubbing loops and etc. They are also handy for placing cheeks and toppings on streamer flies because you can quickly roll the jaws around to provide a look at the back side.

I think it'll tie anything you want to tie.

Ard

silver creek

Reaction score
From looking at the specs on the Renzetti site, I see that the Master takes a wide range of hook sizes and on paper, it will fit all my needs.

I do believe it will hold a 20-22 hook without problems and for all I know maybe even smaller hooks, but I wonder if it’s enough room to actually tie on let’s say a size 20 hook? As I don’t have the option to try one before I buy one, I thought I ask what you Master-owners think.

I also wonder about how it is to do inline rotary tying on let’s say a TMC 100 size 12 or 14 hook? I see you can position the arm holding the jaws, but the jaws itself are fixed on the arm, which leads me to think that the jaws will point quite a bit upwards leaving less room around the hook?

From just looking it at it it on the web, it seems to do great with bigger hooks and would serve me well with salmon and streamer flies, but I just wonder if it may bee a litt too beefy for size 12-20 hooks. Or what do you guys think?
I've tied on a master for over 20 years.

Here is an image of the Renzetti Master. I don't quite understand your question about room around the hook. Here is an image of the Renzetti Master.

If the hook is properly positioned as per the the video below there is room to tie small flies.

YouTube

Below that are examples of incorrectly mounted hooks and properly mounted hooks.

Incorrectly mounted hook:

Size 22 fly:

Size 20 soft hackle:

fender77

Reaction score
Thanks guys! What I was thinking of might not be a problem at all, as you cannot tilt the jaws at the point where they are mounted the tip of the jaws will point more straight upwards as you lift the arm.

The jaw angle seems to better when the jaws are lowered, but then you won’t be able to rotate a small hook inline. When you raise the jaws, more of the jaws will “eat” space under the hook shank.

As my English is what it is, I might need to draw it! :)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if Silver uses rotary to tie tiny flies but I did most of the tiny stuff the old fashioned way. When you get into larger patterns that's where the rotation worked well for me.

fender77

Reaction score
I’ve tied flies for 16 years now and got a rotary vise a couple of years ago. I’m now constantly wrapping quills and hackle using inline rotary. Almost never use the “old way” of doing it. Hence with fine quills I need a smooth action on the rotation to not break the fine quills. But I tie some bigger flies too and has come to the point that it would be nice to only have one vise to do it all.

I’ve tested the presentation 3000 which is awesome, but struggles with my salmon and streamer hooks which it isn’t meant for either. But the jaws on the Master seems more massive right below the tip which I thought would eat som space when lifting the arm making the jaws point upwards with the right side of the jaws take more of the space underneath the hookshank on small hooks.

But it might not be a real issue. I believe Ard got the point of what’s i was asking about.

flytire

Reaction score
i have a renzetti traveler and the jaws have 3 adjustment positions. i have never moved the jaws to the upper hole or the lower hole. the jaws have remained on the center position right out of the box where i can tie size 24 with no problems

seems to handle salmon hooks just fine

and a 20

pnc

Reaction score
Have had traveler for long time. Originally purchased for range of hook sizes. It being greater than any other vise I had looked at. Lived & worked in PA. Tied trout & small mouth flies. Also flies for weekend strippers, blues, & weaks. Grew up on LI.
Think #20 is smallest I might have used once. Have one box with hooks up to 6/0 now.
Clearance for hooks has never been a problem. Prior posts show hook placement. I to have never changed original position of jaws.
I believe the master vise may have a smaller range of hook size. But the low end is definitely covered.
I believe the jaws of vice have to be offset for it to be a true rotary. The shank needs to stay on plane rotate and hook point & bend rotate around it.

........ pc

fender77

Reaction score
I contacted Renzetti and asked them if they could supply me with a few pictures of the Master holding size 12 hooks while elevated to the point of which the hook rotates around it’s own shank/axis. They responded quickly and my conclusion is that the Master will fit my tying needs from small dries to large salmon flies and streamers. I’ve ordered one which I guess will be delivered around mid November. Thanks for all help in this thread too.

Stupid questions from me, but nice and helpful answers! Thanks:)