Steelhead patterns

arkman

Reaction score
I'm going to go steelhead fishing in Wisconsin towards the end of October. I was told to tie some glowbugs and I'm wondering water colors I should use. Or what other fly's I should bring?

driftless

Reaction score
arkman,
Buggers, egg sucking leeches, mickey fins, various streamer patterns, as well as nymphs in the full range of trout sizes. Sometimes you will want them down to a #16 depending on flow level.
Are you fishing the North shore or the East? I'll be on the North shore mid-month and probably a time or two after that then fish the East shore until mid December.
Have a great time!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You are getting good answers here. You can get as fancy or as simple as you want with these flies. I used to fish Black Comets in # 4 & 6 pretty much the way you would nymph for trout. I was never a fan of tiny nymphs and 3 - 4 lb tippets so I kept the irons fairly big. I've also caught a good number of fish on Glo Yarn eggs and egg sucking leach flies.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Arkman, you got great advice from the guys...As far as colors for your Glo-bugs; have an assortment of sizes and colors. For stained water flourescent colors are the ticket. If you have clear water go with more natural pastel colors. Good luck and have fun...

Dan

O

okuma

size 12 prince nymphs. estaz egg patterns in roe, pink, white, chartreuse (size 12). comets as mentioned (size 6). i also like tying them in chartreuse/black. glo bugs. bunny leeches. chain eyed clousers with a curly tail (streamers all size 4). sucker spawn.

arkman

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I just ordered some hooks to tie up some of these. I need to get a little more material and a lot more freetime and I'll be set to go.

wt bash

Reaction score
Pinks, chartruse, orange, and can't leave out yellow. Don't forget some emerald shiner patterns. I can't imagine its all that different from the Erie tribs here so in the fall I like to throw more baitfish type patterns, winter: big bright uglies and then eggs, and in spring: eggs and egg snatchers, sucker spawn, and more baitfish and fry type patterns. I'll admitt I tend not to fish egg patterns much anymore its more fun for me to swing them up but if eggs are your thing don't forget simple estaz eggs they'r easy and quick to tie and you can make millions!