Article on Thomas Whiting and Whiting Farms

karstopo

Reaction score
Not long ago, I bought my first Whiting Cape from an online source. When the package arrived at my door, I couldn't believe how long the feathers were.

I really enjoyed the article and all that Thomas Whiting has put into breeding his chickens.

This quote from the article surprised me "Whiting Farms controls the majority of the $5 million world market in fly-tying hackle." I would have thought the market might be much bigger than that.

weiliwen

Reaction score
Well, now that Steven Tyler doesn't wear them in his hair, I'm sure the market has cooled down, LOL.

I bet that the "world market in fly-tying hackle" doesn't count in the local Kenyan and Thai chickens that give their all for mass-tied flies. Most of that garbage one can get from Cabela's, BPS, and off of eBay comes from there.

OTOH, I know that the flies I get from my local shop (Yay, The Driftless Angler, go Mat!) are tied right here in the USA. As a matter of fact, I've met some of the guys who tie for him, so that's from whom I buy, when I buy.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Silver
Very interesting article, thanks for sharing!
This past summer, I think it was Trent (aka corn fed fins) who told me that Whiting Farms was located in Delta, CO, but said Whiting doesn't do tours for the public.
I was fishing at Pleasure Park which is located 14 miles east of Delta, so it would have been fun to tour the facility.

silver creek

Reaction score
Silver
Very interesting article, thanks for sharing!
This past summer, I think it was Trent (aka corn fed fins) who told me that Whiting Farms was located in Delta, CO, but said Whiting doesn't do tours for the public.
I was fishing at Pleasure Park which is located 14 miles east of Delta, so it would have been fun to tour the facility.
The reason for no tours I suspect is biosecurity. If I recall correctly, the workers have to change into sterile clothing before they enter the area where the chickens are raised.

One person with avian influenza would wipe out their entire flock. Remember when it infected turkeys and chickens in 2015?

Bird flu epidemic proves factory-farmed chickens have come home to roost | Vital Signs | The Guardian
Bird Flu Outbreak Brings on Higher Egg Prices, Shortages at Supermarket | Money