Beginner Fly Tying must get tools

jspfishing

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a vise separately from a starter kit because I didn't like any of the included vises. Therefore, I have no tools or materials. I'm not so concerned with materials because I can figure that out for the most part. I've seen a laundry list of tools out in the market. I looked into tool kits that offer everything, but again I get skeptical on some of the quality. If you can go back to the beginning, what tools do you wish you had to make fly tying quicker and easier? Like a better bobbin that offers a smoother feed? or something else that prevents frustration. I've seen a lot of videos, but haven't seen many use more than a bobbin and scissors. Thanks

karstopo

Reaction score
I like a plain old bobbin over the adjustable ones. A ceramic tip or tube is nice for fine threads. I like a whip finishing tool although they aren’t really necessary. You don’t need a bobbin threading tool. It’s easy to just suck the line through the bobbin tube. Hackle pliers are nice. So is a tool for making a brush. There are deer hair packing tools and deer hair stackers

I good light with a magnifying lense is helpful. There are other tools I’m forgetting. I like to have several scissors and bobbins handy.

Some way to organize your materials is nice. A peg board wall is about ideal. Zip bags are handy.

philly

Reaction score
I'd add a half hitch tool. Easier to deal with than a whip finisher. I use a floss threader(available in any drug store)as a threading tool, it can also be used in place of a whip finisher on larger flies , a bodkin, though you can make your own using an needle. Dubbing brush, find an old toothbrush and trim the bristles. I have hackle pliers but I also use these, the one holding the larger fly, can't remember what they're called.

P2290285 (1).jpg

I have them in two sizes, the smaller size make excellent hackle pliers. Used to get them at Radio Shack.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
There are various tools that make some tying easier, but frankly the most basic list would include the vise, a good pair of fine tipped scissors & a good thread bobbin, preferably with a ceramic insert or tube. You can do a lot of tying with only these 3 tools.

I always list the ceramic bobbins because I wore out several that were not ceramic before I finally bought one that was. Have never worn a ceramic bobbin out, and have only added additional ceramic bobbins to my tying tools.

The plastic body of many cheap ink pens can work well for a half hitch tool.

If you get a whip finish tool, get a good one like a Materalli type. I bought a cheap one many years ago & never could get to where I could use it. I whip finish by hand, so really don't need a tool, but for some folks, a tool is good to have.

Hackle pliers are good to have, but aren't really necessary unless you're tying smaller size flies, and even then, not all hackle pliers hold all feathers very well. I have several in different types, but don't use them a lot since I tie a lot of big size flies.

Scissors are the second most important tool you'll need besides the vise. Make sure they're comfortable to use, a fine tip is best for most tying and be sure they're sharp. The last scissors I bought, last year, were 2 pairs of Dr Slick tungsten carbide. One pair is 3 1/2" & the other 4". I have several pairs of stainless, some even Dr Slick, and some have been resharpened several times. I expect the tungsten will be the last i'll ever need to buy. Serrated blades are good to have too, especially for cutting hairs. Only use them for tying. DO NOT, use them for anything else, like wire, etc, as that will dull them and dull scissors are not what you want when tying. I have a pair of fine tipped wire cutters I use for wire.

c web

Reaction score
Doctor Slick makes a tool starter kit that is very nice and not terribly expensive, about $50. I agree with what others have said above, scissors and bobbin are absolutely necessary but for me a hair stacker is also necessary, 2 of my favorite flies are an elk hair caddis and a comparadun.

karstopo

Reaction score
Some people love these newer adjustable tension bobbins. Be aware they, in my experience, take much longer to change out thread and I didn’t find the action to be very smooth. Maybe I got a dud bobbin. It also had wax build up in the tube and it made threading the bobbin a real chore. They also have one arm instead of two coming up to the tube which felt wrong in my hand. I never felt out of control on the tension of the traditional bobbin. I ended up tossing mine, and it wasn’t cheap, in the trash I hated it so much!

But like I said, some people rave about them. That’s why I got one with all the glowing comments. But I never disliked the old bobbins. Buyer beware.

bassguitarplayer

Reaction score
As everyone has said already:
Super sharp, fine tip scissors. Dr Slick makes good ones
A bobbin with a ceramic insert
I have a half hitch/bodkin combo that's awesome.
Hackle pliers
A good hair stacker.

A good light and magnifier.

And I"m gonna add something some people will probably disagree with.
I like the SMALL whip finish tool for all but the biggest flies. I get more control of the knot with a smaller one.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Agree, decent scissors are a must own. Never had a problem with most of the other tools being fairly inexpensive. Cheap bobbins and whip finishers are no bother to me at all. As long as the bobbin doesn't cut the thread, and I have $3 models of both that work perfectly fine for my needs.

jspfishing

Reaction score
There are various tools that make some tying easier, but frankly the most basic list would include the vise, a good pair of fine tipped scissors & a good thread bobbin, preferably with a ceramic insert or tube. You can do a lot of tying with only these 3 tools.

I always list the ceramic bobbins because I wore out several that were not ceramic before I finally bought one that was. Have never worn a ceramic bobbin out, and have only added additional ceramic bobbins to my tying tools.

The plastic body of many cheap ink pens can work well for a half hitch tool.

If you get a whip finish tool, get a good one like a Materalli type. I bought a cheap one many years ago & never could get to where I could use it. I whip finish by hand, so really don't need a tool, but for some folks, a tool is good to have.

Hackle pliers are good to have, but aren't really necessary unless you're tying smaller size flies, and even then, not all hackle pliers hold all feathers very well. I have several in different types, but don't use them a lot since I tie a lot of big size flies.

Scissors are the second most important tool you'll need besides the vise. Make sure they're comfortable to use, a fine tip is best for most tying and be sure they're sharp. The last scissors I bought, last year, were 2 pairs of Dr Slick tungsten carbide. One pair is 3 1/2" & the other 4". I have several pairs of stainless, some even Dr Slick, and some have been resharpened several times. I expect the tungsten will be the last i'll ever need to buy. Serrated blades are good to have too, especially for cutting hairs. Only use them for tying. DO NOT, use them for anything else, like wire, etc, as that will dull them and dull scissors are not what you want when tying. I have a pair of fine tipped wire cutters I use for wire.
Oh wow! Thanks for all the true HUMINT (human intelligence) on everything thats effective in making flies. Truly great to buy something solid on your first go without buying multiple duds. I plan to tie medium to large flies due to being limited to SM/LMB Bass, small to very large cats locally. I do plan to take trips to visit some friends in PA and mountains in VA for trout, but I will adjust accordingly. For now I will look into getting some ceramic bobbins, tungsten carbide scissors to get started. I did see multiple people use a toothbrush or a comb to shape the fly versus the tool. Ill probably just go with that.

UV glue seems to work pretty good to make a bug shell appearance and glue eyes. Anyone have thoughts about the UV glue? I'll also get regular resin.

Good tip on getting separate cutting device to cut wire. I would of made that mistake thinking that the thin wire couldn't possible hurt the blades.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Some people love these newer adjustable tension bobbins. Be aware they, in my experience, take much longer to change out thread and I didn’t find the action to be very smooth. Maybe I got a dud bobbin. It also had wax build up in the tube and it made threading the bobbin a real chore. They also have one arm instead of two coming up to the tube which felt wrong in my hand. I never felt out of control on the tension of the traditional bobbin. I ended up tossing mine, and it wasn’t cheap, in the trash I hated it so much!

But like I said, some people rave about them. That’s why I got one with all the glowing comments. But I never disliked the old bobbins. Buyer beware.
Interesting... I put one on my Christmas list as a stocking stuffer. You've got me rethinking it now. May I ask, was it a "Rite Bobbin" by chance?

jspfishing

Reaction score
Interesting... I put one on my Christmas list as a stocking stuffer. You've got me rethinking it now. May I ask, was it a "Rite Bobbin" by chance?
haha...thats why I need to ask before I pull the trigger on anything. Although, the one arm bobbin might not be as bad for me since I've never used any type of bobbin before so I wouldn't have nothing to compare it too. Before I started this thread I was also looking at Rite Bobbins.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
haha...thats why I need to ask before I pull the trigger on anything. Although, the one arm bobbin might not be as bad for me since I've never used any type of bobbin before so I wouldn't have nothing to compare it too. Before I started this thread I was also looking at Rite Bobbins.
Yeah, me too... I've only started tying less than a year ago. I might get used to it quickly, who knows?

FYI: I've been watching a lot of videos by Tim Flagler of Tightlines Video (search both on YouTube & Vimeo). I've found his methods and explanations to be excellent. Maybe, you'll find them helpful too? Good luck with it!

powershooter

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a vise separately from a starter kit because I didn't like any of the included vises. Therefore, I have no tools or materials. I'm not so concerned with materials because I can figure that out for the most part. I've seen a laundry list of tools out in the market. I looked into tool kits that offer everything, but again I get skeptical on some of the quality. If you can go back to the beginning, what tools do you wish you had to make fly tying quicker and easier? Like a better bobbin that offers a smoother feed? or something else that prevents frustration. I've seen a lot of videos, but haven't seen many use more than a bobbin and scissors. Thanks
As stated previously, get the Dr. Slick kit . You will be very happy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

karstopo

Reaction score
Yes, it was a rite. You may love it. I like switching out thread quickly. The rite takes way too long in my opinion. There’s a big brass tension adjustment nut that takes a while to unthread and other washer parts that have to be taken off and put back together. Changing the thread on a regular bobbin is super quick. And then I never thought I was out of control on the tension of the thread which I guess is the main reason to get one of these tension control bobbins. My rite was not smooth in its tension control, sort of like a drag on a reel that isn’t quite right. I could never get the tension like I wanted. It was either too much or too little. Finally, I like resting my fingers on the arms of the bobbin. The Rite’s one arm felt unbalanced and awkward.

I was on a FB local fly fishing interest group and some of the young guys raved about these new bobbins including the rite. So I got one, but it was most definitely not for me. Different strokes...

flytie09

Reaction score
I will offer my opinion on beginner tools. I'll start w/ must haves, should haves, nice to have and then source elsewhere.

Must:
1) Vise... splurge a little on this. I have tried several lower quality vises until I got a Regal used, and I can't see needing another in my life time. I wouldn't go hole hog on a $300 vise, but for $100... you can get an awesome one. Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!
2) Scissors. You should get two. One inexpensive general purpose one for cutting wire and misc work and one good quality one with a nice fine point for your workhorse. Splurge on a the good one. $15 will get you one you'll have a lifetime. Scissors for fly tying | Global FlyFisher | What should you look for when choosing fly-tying scissors? Well, that all depends on a number of factors. This article takes an in-depth look at one of the fly tier's most important tools.
3) Hackle pliers -I've tried the cheap ones and they leave one frustrated. I like the inexpensive Dr Slick non-rotary ones the best and they don't break the bank. Don't worry about the midge versions IMHO. The humble hackle pliers | Global FlyFisher | Hackle pliers are simple tools for a simple task: handling hackles. But there might be more to the story of these humble tools.
4) Bodkin / half hitch combo tool - You don't want to overthink this one. It has a metal point on one end for applying head cements and a open tube on the other for tying off flies and pushing materials tight like deer hair when spinning. We're talking $3-$4 tops here.
5) Bobbin - An inexpensive ceramic lined tube one will do the trick. It will save you from thread brakages. 2x would be handy down the road. I've never opted for the high dollar ones.... but always wanted to try them, to see if they're worth it. I'm going to say $15 - $50 range on these. Bobbin holders | Global FlyFisher | Most people use a bobbin holder when they tie flies. In spite of being a simple tool there are some pretty advanced models out there.

Should have:
1) Good quality hair stacker tool...if you're going to be using elk hair or deer hair then these will help you to even the tips up easier.

Nice to have:
1) Whip finisher tool - I graduated to this from my half hitch tool as the tying off of your heads is stronger.
2) Head cement applicator bottle w/ fine tip... i like the water based head cements now and this doesn't clog and I can apply the tiniest of drops.
3) UV cure head cement w/ UV flashlight
4) Dubbing spinner. This gets high marks - Fly Tying Tools. If you were crafty.... I'd say you can make one pretty easy in your shop with some wire and a hex head bolt.

Get anywhere:
1) Razor/exacto knife
2) Block of wood
3) Superglue
4) Permanent marker set
5) Tooth brush
6) Velcro piece (hooked end) for teasing dubbing
7) Wire brush

I hope this helps.... I'm not saying I'm dead right or anyone else is wrong.... but you don't need the cheap starter kits. I went this way early on and all of these tools have since broken besides the bodkin/half hitch tool. Loon and others may be light years ahead of the Cabelas starter set stuff.

This looks like a good set - https://www.backcountry.com/umpqua-...=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6ZmxpZXM6MToxNDpmbGllcw==

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf8Z55GWGx8

ft09

Last edited:

jspfishing

Reaction score
I will offer my opinion on beginner tools. I'll start w/ must haves, should haves, nice to have and then source elsewhere.

Must:
1) Vise... splurge a little on this. I have tried several lower quality vises until I got a Regal used, and I can't see needing another in my life time. I wouldn't go hole hog on a $300 vise, but for $100... you can get an awesome one. Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!
2) Scissors. You should get two. One inexpensive general purpose one for cutting wire and misc work and one good quality one with a nice fine point for your workhorse. Splurge on a the good one. $15 will get you one you'll have a lifetime. Scissors for fly tying | Global FlyFisher | What should you look for when choosing fly-tying scissors? Well, that all depends on a number of factors. This article takes an in-depth look at one of the fly tier's most important tools.
3) Hackle pliers -I've tried the cheap ones and they leave one frustrated. I like the inexpensive Dr Slick non-rotary ones the best and they don't break the bank. Don't worry about the midge versions IMHO. The humble hackle pliers | Global FlyFisher | Hackle pliers are simple tools for a simple task: handling hackles. But there might be more to the story of these humble tools.
4) Bodkin / half hitch combo tool - You don't want to overthink this one. It has a metal point on one end for applying head cements and a open tube on the other for tying off flies and pushing materials tight like deer hair when spinning. We're talking $3-$4 tops here.
5) Bobbin - An inexpensive ceramic lined tube one will do the trick. It will save you from thread brakages. 2x would be handy down the road. I've never opted for the high dollar ones.... but always wanted to try them, to see if they're worth it. I'm going to say $15 - $50 range on these. Bobbin holders | Global FlyFisher | Most people use a bobbin holder when they tie flies. In spite of being a simple tool there are some pretty advanced models out there.

Should have:
1) Good quality hair stacker tool...if you're going to be using elk hair or deer hair then these will help you to even the tips up easier.

Nice to have:
1) Whip finisher tool - I graduated to this from my half hitch tool as the tying off of your heads is stronger.
2) Head cement applicator bottle w/ fine tip... i like the water based head cements now and this doesn't clog and I can apply the tiniest of drops.
3) UV cure head cement w/ UV flashlight
4) Dubbing spinner. This gets high marks - Fly Tying Tools. If you were crafty.... I'd say you can make one pretty easy in your shop with some wire and a hex head bolt.

Get anywhere:
1) Razor/exacto knife
2) Block of wood
3) Superglue
4) Permanent marker set
5) Tooth brush
6) Velcro piece (hooked end) for teasing dubbing
7) Wire brush

I hope this helps.... I'm not saying I'm dead right or anyone else is wrong.... but you don't need the cheap starter kits. I went this way early on and all of these tools have since broken besides the bodkin/half hitch tool. Loon and others may be light years ahead of the Cabelas starter set stuff.

This looks like a good set - https://www.backcountry.com/umpqua-...=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6ZmxpZXM6MToxNDpmbGllcw==

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf8Z55GWGx8

ft09
Awesome. Thank you. I found the whip finish to be very helpful. Tried doing it by hand and always made it sloppy. For the UV light, does it matter if I go cheap on it? The kits are expensive in my local stores. I'll probably get good UV resin, but I don't want to purchase a $50 light. I've seen them for $10 and was wondering if they do the job. I don't mind if its a few seconds longer to cure.

flytie09

Reaction score
I won't get too deep in the UV cure science. I bought one off eBay for $12 that includes the charger and it works. It's a NKTech NK501b kit w/ charger. 365 nm wavelength and it does the job.

I will caution anyone that carries the UV cure resin out on the river.... be sure to protect the tube somehow.... like a film case or similar. I had one leak all over in my pack and it's a mess. Be forewarned.

ft09

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Welcome to Fly Tyers Anonymous. A support group that encourages and enables your addiction. It can be more expensive than crack but it's legal, the high lasts longer and the only ill health effect is the wife yelling at you from "stuff" on the carpet and hardwood. As you become Super Addict your nemeses are cats and UV. Prepare for combat. lol

Everyone has hit the musts. Now multiply it.
Scissors (minimum 2) one for feathers one for wire. Outside of vice, my most important tool.
Bobbins (minimum 2) unless you really like swapping thread out.
As you start tying you will decide what else you might want duplicated.

Additional items I didn't see:
Needle nose pliers, smooth jaw, for compressing barbs and cutting hooks.
$.99 lighter. Ugg..Fire good

Long run a good supporting chair. Nothing worse than getting stadium butt and/or lower bad aches.

Good luck and have FUN!