Exhibitionists :)

corn fed fins

Reaction score
For you members that tie at shows, maybe just to fill in at the local shop, or club presentation, do you pick a single pattern or a couple of patterns? How difficult of a pattern? Do you consider the time of year? I guess what I'm after is how do you prepare? Any hard learned lessons etc. I'd really like to read your thoughts on what you do to keep it interesting as well. Not like I'm joining the "circuit" (LLEH No, lol)but I seem to be getting volunteered by everyone else taking a step back these days. :)

CFF

Ps. I'm posting from Tapatalk so I hope I'm in the right section as well. :)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

flytire

Reaction score
just tie what you want to tie and what you are best at tying.

if dry flies are your specialty, then show the crowd your skills and knowledge

same with other fly styles

ia_trouter

Reaction score
It seems we usually have a few people tying at shows. One person tying something a bit more complicated, one person tying something extremely easy such as a basic bugger. Then we rope in as many kids (or adults) as possible to tie a fly of their own. A fly they can cast on about any fishing rod imaginable. About the right size to catch a bluegill or small bass. The pride in their faces is priceless and we hope a few will pick up a fly rod sometime. If you are tying at a show where the attendees are experienced then of course you'd want to tie something you are very skilled at. Most of our shows are public and we are trying to encourage fly tying, not intimidate with patterns that look impossible for a novice.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I rarely do it, but the only flies that I've tied in public were originated by me and were unique enough so that I felt they were worth sharing.

Reaction score
at shows i try to tie whats in my current interest - i pick a couple patterns i like and bring materials for them. Sometimes i tie flies to fill boxes or for swaps.

Generally i try to bring materials to demo married wings since a lot of the flies i tie are that style. without fail, if i dont being the materials for married wings, 20 folks will ask me to demo it.

In my experience, on lookers want to learn something, so if its a new pattern with which you've had success on local streams, or a technique, or style of fly, make it 'new' and you'll be fine.

JoJer

Reaction score
I've volunteered to man booths at shows, once for a FF school, several times for CFR. Once I got to teach casting (!) (to draw folks into the "donate booth)for CFR at a fair. I'm sure I didn't cause any lasting damage to anyone who decided to pick up the sport. Fun, cause the sponsor shop's loaner rods were higher end than mine. For most of those, I did two hour shifts. When you tie at a show, do you sit and tie all day? Shifts? As much or as little as you like?

Last edited:

hambone111

Reaction score
Ive never been "monitored" at a booth or a tying line up at a show (where there are say 12 people all tying at the same time) i seem to remember it was usually for stints of 2-4 hours depending on the show and it was all pretty casual. People stop to talk. ask questions. its not like a sweatshop or anything so you take breaks. tie at a leisurely pace.

i would usually bring some pre-made stuff of a couple patterns to put out on display as well. say like 12-15 flies. different patterns or techniques to show some variety and spark up some questions and conversation.

i would tie something i was working on if it was a specific technique , dubbing loop nymphs maybee or UV resin head streamers. something other than just an Elk hair caddis #14. but i was never assigned anything and its not like i had to report in what i would be tying either .

pnc

Reaction score
The Suncoast Fly Fishers (SFF), have tiers at various shows throughout the year. Objective being recruitment to club, or just fly fishing. One must consider transporting materials needed. Keeping number of colors for each to a minimum helps.
Fly trade shows, as said do what your good at. Attendees are of the serious type.
Fairs or fly fishing expose have different attendees. And a more relaxed atmosphere.
What has drawn most attention, at either type of event, for the club. Has been the involvement of people attending show. Especially children. Old and young want to see what interests kids. A kid at the vise draws a crowd every time. And the looks on kids faces are priceless.
What we've found works good when numbers of children/families , will be present. Is to limit material & have variety of colors. Say have hackle & chenille, in 8 or 10 colors. A few flies on display done with material. Idea is to have recruit pick out colors used to tie fly. Florescent colors big favorite with kids.
Have someone choose fly & colors. And intrest builds. Should point out..... if children are being given flies. They should be in something so hook is not exposed. Club has small clear plastic. boxes w/logo for this. And little kids parents should be handed container. Or held out to first.
If you want to enjoy the day and feel good when its over (no matter how tired....lol). Do something with kids.

....... pc

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've tied on behalf of a couple of shops. They usually have materials on hand so it never bothered me to branch out from what I was "suppose" to be demonstrating.lol. I'm there to answer questions and yes, sell product, so those flys usually are a bit advanced. After that it's just been club stuff at shows; some big, some small, for recruitment and sale on behalf of the club. I also aid in tying for PHWFF classes, set program, but we offer an intermediate class funded by individuals and our club . Shows are a big dilemma as the audience is so diverse. I'm definitely going to try a new approach at the upcoming FFI show here based on all this input. Thanks and keep the info rolling.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

philly

Reaction score
My salt water club has had a booth at the Somerset, NJ shows the last several years. Those of us that tie usually do a four hour shift. We're not strictly salt water fly fishers. The first few years I brought too many materials with me, just in case someone asked about tying a particular pattern. Now a days I try and limit my materials to some specific patterns that people might ask about. For me, woolly bugger, CDC and Elk, and one midge pattern but mostly I tie foam patterns and bait fish patterns. Bright colorful poppers attract people's attention. The first year we tied at the show, someone walked by and said. "You salt water guys don't know how to tie real flies" So I always bring the size 32 Royal Wulff that I tied years ago when I could actually see something that small,in a small plastic container that has a magnifier in the lid. Always makes a nice contrast with an 8 inch bait fish patterns. It's always a fun day meeting and talking with folks, raising a bit of money for CFR,