Equipment

smoke33

Reaction score
My son is bugging me and I kind of have the itch as well, to learn how to tie. I don’t want to break the bank but don’t want something that will be garbage. I am looking for recommendations for either starter kits or vises to look at or stay away from. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zjory

Reaction score
Started tying 9 months ago when my wife bought me a starter kit. Have replaced every single thing in it. Don’t buy a starter kit. Go to a fly shop and ask them what you need to get started.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Breaking the bank can be a relative term. For around $150 you can get a nice vice. I have a Peak, & I love it. Had it for 7 years and I believe it will last forever. Customer service is great, & Cabela's sells their parts. Win win situation.
But there are others around that price as well that have good reputations.

You can go cheaper, I know because I see them all the time. Look online at J. Stockard fly tying. They have quite a few choices at affordable prices, even less than $100.

Its a great hobby, especially in the winter. I find it very relaxing & creative. And when you catch that fish on your fly, you can't help but smile.

It doesn't have to be expensive if you keep it simple. But you can get some cheaply made stuff too if you go too cheap.

jspfishing

Reaction score
I got a Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise. It ranges about $70. It's great for the price. It can rotate like the expensive ones which is nice. I have tied 4/0 articulated saltwater streamers to size 26 midges for trout. Holds the hook solid and haven't ran into any issues.

Attachments

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I also recommend not buying a kit, and instead buying the best vise & tools you can afford, especially if you believe your son will stick with it. I've been using a Regal for over 20 years, and it's an excellent vise, but there are other excellent vises too. Prices will vary greatly. With that said, and I'll go out on a limb here, I have a Regal knock-off vise too, and it's not the quality of the Regal, but it's a very good vise that holds all the hooks I've put into it & very securely.

Depending on what type of flies your son will be tying, the 3 most necessary tools a tyer needs are the vise, a good pair of scissors, and preferably with fine points, and a good thread bobbin, preferably with a ceramic insert or tube. There can be other tools, such as a bodkin needle, & hackle pliers that can be useful.

Here's the knock-off I have. They can be purchased for under $50. Again, I firmly believe in buying the best you can afford, but we all have to start somewhere, and this vise should last a lot longer than most of similar price.

100_6429.jpg100_6430.jpg

L

Liphookedau

Hi.
Threads with these contents are forever showing up so if you check past Threads you will find some really helpful info to go with what has lately been mentioned as I know many of us have posted many times on This Subject so if you can't find any answers there's always someone willing to help.
The best way to start off is to list The Flies you want to Tie then list all materials needed as you will find nearly all materials can be used for numerous Patterns then only buy or scrounge The Basics as believe me as I have boxes with thousands of $s of Fur Feathers & numerous other materials.
Also it's up to you The Tools & quality you buy.
Good Luck & happy tying as it can be an expensive past time & hobby if you allow it to be.
Cheers.
Brian

smoke33

Reaction score
I also recommend not buying a kit, and instead buying the best vise & tools you can afford, especially if you believe your son will stick with it. I've been using a Regal for over 20 years, and it's an excellent vise, but there are other excellent vises too. Prices will vary greatly. With that said, and I'll go out on a limb here, I have a Regal knock-off vise too, and it's not the quality of the Regal, but it's a very good vise that holds all the hooks I've put into it & very securely.

Depending on what type of flies your son will be tying, the 3 most necessary tools a tyer needs are the vise, a good pair of scissors, and preferably with fine points, and a good thread bobbin, preferably with a ceramic insert or tube. There can be other tools, such as a bodkin needle, & hackle pliers that can be useful.

Here's the knock-off I have. They can be purchased for under $50. Again, I firmly believe in buying the best you can afford, but we all have to start somewhere, and this vise should last a lot longer than most of similar price.

View attachment 9357View attachment 9358
Do you know the name of the Regal Knock off or where one can be purchased?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

Reaction score
There are a couple of versions that I've seen so different names. I bought mine from an ebay seller. The one I have is called a Mark III. Another version is called a Terra. Mines about 6 years old now, and I've noticed they can vary some, like the knobs & such, even with the same name. Probably all are made by the same company, but can't be sure of that.

BTW, I've been using Griffin brand bobbins for many years, with ceramic inserts. There are other brands & designs, and prices vary with them also. For scissors, there are some good brands, Dr Slick is one that has become very popular. Stainless steel is typical, but not all are the same. Last I bought were Dr Slick Tungsten Carbide, excellent scissors, but higher priced than stainless.

jspfishing

Reaction score

Not to be mean, but I would disagree. Words are not the same as actions. Thinking someone would stick with it isn’t enough for me. I would say earn it. Look at the people on Craigslist trying to sell their $600 outfits. I’m sure they thought the same and were told the same. Gear has nothing to do with being good. It’s the drive and motivation a person has to embrace overcome adversity. I have a $30 outfit and that vise above. I’ve practiced on my outfit everyday since I got it on Oct 24. That $30 outfit can outcast a lot of people fishing for years. Accurately. I took a beginners course and immediately got moved up to advance. I learned the double haul in a day from a video and self-taught tying flies by reading books. Not to mention, this forum has helped me a lot. It’s putting in the work that matters. Good gear is the bonus that makes a strong person a legend. I learned to always work hard to be the best in everything I do and not accept anything less.

jspfishing

Reaction score
And some people are only legends in their own minds. ;)
Not yet. Only been 4 months. It’s more about being good. It’s what you do when you get good. I learned a lot in 4 months and I share what I know with Project Healing Waters. As a veteran myself, I’m lucky enough to not be disabled, I do what I can to help them out. Lefty is a prime example. Amazing fisherman, but even greater at helping others. That’s why he left a primo rod company to help produce affordable rods.

robinfick

Reaction score
Find a local fly fisher that ties and he will probably set you on the correct road and not buy a lot of unnecessary bits and pieces to start off with. He may even have duplicates of equipment that he will let you have for free or at a good price. I have assisted a number of anglers new to the sport and in the process have reduced my collection of 50 plus years of materials and old vices. Fly tyers are collectors and usually not hoarders. I love to see the new generation improve on our tying.

midge1

Reaction score
Listen to the guys on here,. they are full of experience. When I started tying I bought every tool imaginable that I thought I would need for tying, scissors, whip finish tools in various sizes, tweezers, picks, bobbins and stuff I'd never even heard of. I've been tying for over 5 years now and I use the same 7 tools every time I tie. If I need something else I'll guarantee you I have it but probably will never use it. I didn't realize how long tying supplies will last either, so I'll probably never run out of dubbing, thread,wire, beads, various types of hair, the list goes on and on, then on some more.

jb1023

Reaction score
Listen to the guys on here,. they are full of experience. When I started tying I bought every tool imaginable that I thought I would need for tying, scissors, whip finish tools in various sizes, tweezers, picks, bobbins and stuff I'd never even heard of. I've been tying for over 5 years now and I use the same 7 tools every time I tie. If I need something else I'll guarantee you I have it but probably will never use it. I didn't realize how long tying supplies will last either, so I'll probably never run out of dubbing, thread,wire, beads, various types of hair, the list goes on and on, then on some more.
Out of curiosity, what are those 7 tools?

pnc

Reaction score
Vises were a subject at lunch after todays club outing. Because of all the tying demos that are increasing in numbers every year. The club needs more vises. A short dialogue led to 20 being the number needed.
Actual make & type was still up in air. But did lead to what might be of intrest to you. Cabellas sells a kit for around $40.-. Vise & everything needed to start. Reason this was discussed is that it has a base that makes it free standing. Important to us because clamp type bases limit the the tables they can be used on by the size of clamp. Since we are always on different tables at different venues. Clamp bases were dismissed. Popular consensus was this vise might be best bet for us. As it was considered by most best for the money. That being again about 40 greenies.
That said, before choices are made by club. A couple of mfgs have donated vises to club before and will be contacted. Renzetti being one. Right now they have been I believe our #1 donater.
The Renzetti Traveler I have. Has been everything I could want for over 30 yrs. For vise recommendations my #1 choice (reasons to follow).
What might be considered is purchasing Cabellas kit. And upgrading next holiday season if warranted. If so 40 isnt bad for a second vise. As for reasons for the Renzetti. They are what I see as drawbacks for everything else.
Regals impead work at back of hook. I've watched owners that swear by them shift into low to do such work again & again. Regardless of what they personally think. No matter how long done or how fast. Work is slowed because of jaw position. But as with any vise. This to can be of little importance if one uses vise long enough. And learns to overcome handicap to a point. We'll leave out the hook shooting since I've only heard of it (sprung jaw).

Vises whos jaws lock with a lever use a cam to do so. Cams wear out! When used properly and faster when not used properly. That being cam is fully locked or not. Have seen several of these made usless in less than a year. Being used for club tying demos. It was also decided replacing parts was wasting money.
This is a club outlook. Based on vises getting a lot of abuse. One individual may never use a cam lock vise enough for this to be a problem. Though the possibility always exists.
Renzetti's are the only vises to not have issues through club use. Maybe should of said torture testing.

........... pc

pnc

Reaction score
Not yet. Only been 4 months. It’s more about being good. It’s what you do when you get good. I learned a lot in 4 months and I share what I know with Project Healing Waters. As a veteran myself, I’m lucky enough to not be disabled, I do what I can to help them out. Lefty is a prime example. Amazing fisherman, but even greater at helping others. That’s why he left a primo rod company to help produce affordable rods.
Lol....... I'm of the same mindset no matter what I do. Has to be faster or better than anyone else. Who ? No clue......lol. I'm sure there's some anal reference to it.....lol.........
Saw Lefty mentioned. A few of us at club lunch today,.that have met, Lefty. Were talking about meeting him for the first time. And endearing things we remember. Others were listening. Everbody smiling.
The first time I met him, and ensuing times was at an outfitters in Blakeslee PA. Happens another in club was at same demo when I first met him.
He spoke of another demo he was at. After demo ended. One attending stood with arms crossed. After people started leaving, in all seriousness. He says , trick rod. Lefty asked if he had rod with him that he used. He did, an 8' 3w. Go get it, he did. Lefty peeled off line & backing, uncorked one, handed rod back, and said, no tricks. Definitely had a way of making a point. Guy stood looking at rod in his hand, line & backing layed out , for 5 mins with his mouth open.
Once at the show in Sumerset. Lefty had table, signing autographs. New book release at time. Don't remember which. Kid working at show came to tell him he had 10 mins. before casting demo. And wanted to know what rod he wanted to use for demo. Lefty, told him a him a 6w. His face started going through a series of puzzled expressions. That spoke aloud. There were hundreds at the show. Looked at me when I couldn't help from laughing. Told him, it doesn't matter. It didn't.
Every time I see posts made proclaiming how gear betters a persons casting. I wonder if they'll ever know how far off base they are.

........ pc

tcorfey

Reaction score
February is the month when Orvis stores offer free tying lessons, if you have one near you join up and get some free lessons, learn about how to use the tools you need.

Take a look at the Orvis fly tying kit it is not cheap but it has a good selection of tools and materials to get you started.
Fly-Tying Starter Kit / Orvis Fly-Tying Kit -- Orvis

Even if you do not want to buy it you will eventually need all the tools in this kit, so use the pictures as a reference, the materials provided are descent and the the DVD from Tim Flaggler has some excellent instruction.

Regards,

Tim C.

flytire

Reaction score
tools that a new fly tyer might consider to get started

vise
scissors
bobbin holder
hackle pliers
bodkin
whip finisher
hair stacker

there are some very good kits on the market today (stop thinking 1950-1980 tying kits :))

dynaking

Dyna-King-Kit-300x214.jpg

loon

F1200-2T.jpg

flyfishfood

FFFKIT3-2T.jpg

orvis beginner kit

2BT2L6SFW.jpg

umpqua

dreamred.jpg

even more kits

fly tying tool kits - Google Search

basic tools explained

for materials give this a read

Beginner fly tyers material list

brownbass

Reaction score

I just started tying using this vise. It does a good job of holding the hook, to the point that you have to be careful of bending your hook if you're not careful. I did wind up buying a pedestal and cutting down the stem. I attend a tying class and move around a bit and the newer plastic folding tables may not be strong enough for you to clamp the vise securely. If you add the amount I paid for the pedestal I have about $70 tied up. If I do buy another vice I would probably get a Regal. I like the way they operate.

Bill

midge1

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what are those 7 tools?
2 pair of scissors, 1 for thread and materials, 1 for wire, bobbin, bobbin threader, whip finish tool a "beadzer" tweezer, and a pair of hemostats. I also use a barb crushing tool occassionaly when tying barbless hooks. I may use a couple of other tools when necessary but mostly I use the 7 mentioned and they are always in my tool stand. I mad a tool stand because I always got tired of moving material around to find a particular tool on the table. I used a piece of cherry wood from a bundle I bought for grilling. Cut it off flat on both ends on my miter saw to a length of about 5". It's quartered so it's triangular in shape. I drilled 7 or 8 holes with my drill press for the tools, now when I need a tool it's in the stand, or at least it is supposed to be.