UV light glow UNI-thread.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I have some Red 6/0 UNI-thread that I was using to segment the bodies in royal wulffs. I was putting a drop of Loon UV Clear Flow to protect the wraps and noticed something strange when setting it.

The thread almost glowed under the UV light. It was hard to get a picture of but I've never had any thread do that; UNI, UTC or Danville.

Don't think it'll effect the end result but was wondering if other people have seen this.

Attempt to capture the effect and the finished fly:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
Put the UV light on the Uni thread spool. Does it glow?

Then put a dab of the Loon flow on a piece of paper and hit it with the UV light. Does it glow?

Some dyes and also some UV resins are fluorescent so you need to figure out which one it is.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Put the UV light on the Uni thread spool. Does it glow?

Then put a dab of the Loon flow on a piece of paper and hit it with the UV light. Does it glow?

Some dyes and also some UV resins are fluorescent so you need to figure out which one it is.
It's definitely the thread. The spool has the same florescent pink glow under UV light. I use the Loon Flow all the time and never had it do this before. I have olive UNI that doesn't have the same effect. Most of my threads are other brands though.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
You will be surprised at the materials and thread that are uv reactive and are not marked UV.Uni and utc both have a thread color fire orange and it really glows.Many feathers and lots of dubbing will also glow.
Comes in handy when tying streamers that you fish in deeper water.