Tying a dry fly using a plastic body

madison320

Reaction score
I like to fish small mountain creeks with dry flies but I get tired of dealing with sinking flies. I just ordered a plastic mayfly tube body, called a Hemmingway Mayfly Tube Body. You thread it onto your hook and it's supposed to float. I was just going to try adding some traditional hackle and see how it works. I'd really like to try to tie a parachute adams (my favorite) and substitute the thread body with the plastic one. Has anyone here ever tried something like this?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Madison

I've seen that body material, but have never tried it, it will be interesting to hear how you like it.
Another approach might be to use foam, the 1 mm razor foam for the body, to help keep the fly afloat.

dennyk

Reaction score
Madison

I've seen that body material, but have never tried it, it will be interesting to hear how you like it.
Another approach might be to use foam, the 1 mm razor foam for the body, to help keep the fly afloat.
I've used the foam Larry suggested with parachute flies. For the post I use elk hair. I also give them a healthy coat of Gink, they float like corks. I'm also interested how the plastic bodies work for you.

Denny

madison320

Reaction score
Yeah, I also thought about using foam for the parachute adams. Do you tie the foam on top of the hook (same side as the post), or under the hook?

Thanks!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've tied dry flies with only 'Neer Hair', the fine textured synthetic streamer material. Tail, body and wing
Greased up with just a bit of floatant , you can't sink them

dennyk

Reaction score
I tie them in on top of the hook. I always have a base of thread the length of the hook shank. Tie in the foam longer then necessary and trim to length later, medium thread pressure going down, more firm thread pressure going up. Then I use either use UV resin cement or Zap A Gap to secure it in place. Once dry use the dubbing of your choice over the hook shank. Assuming you already have your post and hackle in place. Finish up and have fun!

Denny

planettrout

Reaction score
I like to fish small mountain creeks with dry flies but I get tired of dealing with sinking flies. I just ordered a plastic mayfly tube body, called a Hemmingway Mayfly Tube Body. You thread it onto your hook and it's supposed to float. I was just going to try adding some traditional hackle and see how it works. I'd really like to try to tie a parachute adams (my favorite) and substitute the thread body with the plastic one. Has anyone here ever tried something like this?
Make your own extended body Mayflies with micro tubing:

Extended Body Mayflies

Instructions: Extended Body Mayfly, BWO

PT/TB

flytire

Reaction score
not sure why youre calling them "plastic" bodies

from the internet

Innovative, synthetic tube bodies for creating authentic mayfly dry patterns that float great.

Made from high quality dry fly synthetic dubbing and shaped into a tube which ends in long, built-in tails.

They are hollow and contain air bubbles so they act as a buoyancy aid and keep the fly afloat.

Curved and tapered shape with long tails perfectly reflects the body shape of the real mayfly and gives the fly the correct silhouette.

Soft, very flexible and are super easy to tie.

They are ready-made and provide quick and effortless tying with awesome results.

Constructed to be sturdy and durable.

Come in a range of colors and three sizes to cover various mayfly species and hatching stages.

Can be easily further enhanced and modified with permanent marker.

YouTube

bumble54

Reaction score
There used to be rubber mayfly bodies (I'm guessing they're similar) that were supposed to float, they didn't, foam bodied flies do.

madison320

Reaction score
I like that video. I'm wondering what is the absolute simplest way to make a parachute adams out of the premade tubes I ordered. My first plan is to thread the tude on the hook and secure it with super glue. Then attach a piece of antron like the guy did in the video. The only difference is that my tube is threaded on where his tube is on top of the hook shank. Then I'd attack the hackle to the antron stem and wrap it around the stem. In my case the hackle would be above the tube body, not below it.

Anyone have any suggestions with my approach? Do you think it's better to have a long extended body? I've heard that those ultra real wings make the fly twist in the air and foul up your tippet. That makes me wonder if the extended body does the same. It seems like it should work if I cut the tube shorter, in that case it would be the same shape and dimensions as any typical thread body fly. The only difference is that it floats.

flytire

Reaction score
photo from the internet

why thread the hook through the hollow body?

just tie it in top if the hook shank

madison320

Reaction score
photo from the internet

why thread the hook through the hollow body?

just tie it in top if the hook shank
I don't know, it seems more stable threaded thru the hook. Plus it seems like it would hide the hook more.

Actually that picture is exactly what I imagine it to look like.

flytire

Reaction score
the hook is not what the fish key on

you cant cover the hook bend by threading the body on the hook

triggw

Reaction score
Foam beetle. Cheap and easy to tie, Floats like a cork. Works everywhere--at least in summer.

JoJer

Reaction score
If you go to your upscale grocery, you'll find pears shipped in in closed cell foam tubular nets that are like Chinese finger traps. You can cut the thin foam with an exacto, color it/ rib it with markers, tie thread bodies over it, coat it with hardener. It'll float. It's easy to segment. You can double it over to make a wider thorax. Fun to play with and it's good to recycle.

madison320

Reaction score
Foam beetle. Cheap and easy to tie, Floats like a cork. Works everywhere--at least in summer.
I've never had any luck with those but lots of people swear by them so I'm probably not giving them a fair shot.

madison320

Reaction score
Ok, I tried them but I'm not impressed. While they do appear to have positive buoyancy, it's not enough to stay afloat when the rest of the fly gets waterlogged. Plus the tail "strands" are very delicate and pull out easily.

I'm going to try the foam idea next.

madison320

Reaction score
Madison

I just ordered some tan .5mm and 1mm razor foam, specifically made for fly tying. I appreciate the description! I had no idea what type of foam to get and none of the articles on using foam mentioned what KIND of foam to get.

dennyk

Reaction score
I use either Hairline or Wapsi Fly Foam. 1/16", 1/8" and 1/4" all different colors.

Sorry about that!

Denny

Last edited: