Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: opossum fur

1. Default opossum fur

hey guys, i cant seem to find this stuff anywere. im ordering stuff from a fly shop a couple hours from me and they dont have it either. im tying some beadhead olive and tan caddis. Is there anything i can replace this with like regular dubbing or like hare's fur dubbing.

Default Re: opossum fur

Wapsi Fly Company makes a dubbing called 'Awsome Possum'. Google their website and see if you can find a local shop that carries their product. They are one of/if not the largest material supplier in the country so finding them should not be too difficult.

As far as other dubbing choices, I would think that Hares' Ear dubbing off the mask would have more guard hair in it and give you a "Buggier" appearance, maybe even try some Rabbit fur from the skin, or Zonker strips that you can just pull the fur from the strips.

Hope this helps.....

Hi eaglesfn68,

If you can't find Awesome Possum here are two alternatives you might want to try. The Sow Scud dubbing has possum in the mix. They are both a buggy mix.

Frank

Slf Squirrel Dubbing
    Item # 204012$1.50

Another Davy Wotton blend that is a killer combination of squirrel spike and SLF brightness. Try these on the pine squirrel nymphs for as an alternative to a hares ear for a more 'spikey' look. 5 great colors available.
    >> View Item

Sow Scud Dubbing
    Item # TM011$1.95

SOW-SCUD DUBBING Specifically for tying life-like SOW BUGS & SCUDS. A sparkling blend of opossum, super-bright dubbing and antron that "dubs" easy, looks buggy. COLORS: (1)Lt-Olive, (2)Olive, (3)Shrimp-Pink, (4)Bighorn-Pink, (5)Amber, (6)Bighorn-Orange, (7)Rainbow, (8)Tan, (9)Lt-Gray, (10)Dk-Gray, (11)Lt-Sow-Bug, (12)Dk-Sow-Bug, (13)Pearl, (14)Sow-Bug, (15)Dead-Orange, (16)Smokey-Olive, (17)Dk-Olive, (18)Lt-Tan, (19)Mysis-Shrimp, (20)Tan-Rainbow, (21)Molting-Scud, (22)Copper-Scud, (23)Dark-Scud, (24)Watery-Olive $1.95/pak OR Any 5-paks $9
    >> View Item

A lot of flies call for Australian Possum
    It's different than our domestic opossum

The Australian possum is readily available
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

eaglesfn68,
    Heres a link for Wapsi. Welcome to Wapsi Fly, Inc. Quality Fly Tying Materials since 1945

Give em a call and I bet they point you in the direction of there closest dealer.